Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR  (Read 15261 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2003, 10:15:34 pm »

I didn't like the first one all that much, but after seeing Two Towers I think I understood the need for so much set up.  The second one was surprisingly good, even though I went with some total Tolken geeks and was prepaired to mock it just to annoy them.

Here's the contrast, the Matrix uses it's special effects to make things all slicked up and LOTR uses them to actually add to and improve the content.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2003, 12:15:43 am »

Smells: I think you're right.

FeeReep: I heard the big planned SE was held-up due to rights issues, but that doesn't mean that I don't still want the big four-disc SE.

I refuse to buy the current non-anamorphic bare-bones DVD.  I'm patient.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2003, 01:21:58 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
I didn't like the first one all that much, but after seeing Two Towers I think I understood the need for so much set up.  The second one was surprisingly good, even though I went with some total Tolken geeks and was prepaired to mock it just to annoy them.

Here's the contrast, the Matrix uses it's special effects to make things all slicked up and LOTR uses them to actually add to and improve the content.


Except for the eye over Mordor. I just found that visual to be painfully lame.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2003, 11:43:17 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
God, this is another point. They more or less seem to have not filmed anything that would be indicative of the Scouring making it in, which worries me very much.


The scouring would be a great starting point for the inevitable 'Hobbit's of the Shire' animated series due to come in about in oh '05 I reckon.  

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2003, 12:01:09 am »

[puts fingres in ears]

La la la laaaaaaaaaaaa... I'm not listening....

[/fingres]

V-Adore

  • Guest
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2003, 12:08:05 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
God, this is another point. They more or less seem to have not filmed anything that would be indicative of the Scouring making it in, which worries me very much.


The scouring would be a great starting point for the inevitable 'Hobbit's of the Shire' animated series due to come in about in oh '05 I reckon.  

This certainly marks me as a gigantic canon dork, but I would adore (or would at least laugh at) a wackified animated series depicting the Shire between Our Heroes' departure and the Scouring. THRILL as Lotho enacts one wacky scheme after another!

... god, I'm so lame.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2003, 12:40:03 am »

I get the feeling it would end up with hobbits looking scarily like ewoks. And probably sucking just as much!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2003, 01:17:07 am »

Man, the Ewoks sure do take a beating.  

I liked the little guys, although I thought they were pretty fugly.  Evidently they were supposed to be cute.  I guess I missed the memo.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2003, 01:36:37 am »

Quote from: "jough"

I liked the little guys, although I thought they were pretty fugly.  Evidently they were supposed to be cute.  I guess I missed the memo.


My mom met an ewok.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2003, 01:58:24 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "jough"

I liked the little guys, although I thought they were pretty fugly.  Evidently they were supposed to be cute.  I guess I missed the memo.


My mom met an ewok.


Explain.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2003, 02:38:16 am »

Quote from: "side_show"

Explain.


She worked for the 'Disaster Support' group, post Lockerbie crash (we lived a couple of miles from Lockerbie up til about '94), and for some reason during this she met someone, I think a relative of one of the victims, who had played an ewok.
Not a very exciting story really.
And far less amusing than having met 'Pies' at the opening of my mates, briefl, internet gaming cafe. He was, I forget what callsign, but the fat X-Wing pilot in the first movie.
He was an asshole though.

Oh, she also managed, only just, to avoid meeting Prince Charles. She tried damned hard to avoid him too.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2003, 05:07:44 am »

Quote from: "slink"

And far less amusing than having met 'Pies' at the opening of my mates, briefl, internet gaming cafe. He was, I forget what callsign, but the fat X-Wing pilot in the first movie.
He was an asshole though.

If this is "Wedge," I'm faintly amused. I have friends who are big Star Wars fans, and apparently Wedge is a major figure in most of the novels -- they fan over him to an extent that frankly worries me.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2003, 05:32:49 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

If this is "Wedge," I'm faintly amused.


Alas no. He was just a random fat bloke, who got like one tiny line.
I think he was like, Red Five or something. I'd have to rewatch it, and no one cares that much anyway!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2003, 05:39:12 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "slink"

And far less amusing than having met 'Pies' at the opening of my mates, briefl, internet gaming cafe. He was, I forget what callsign, but the fat X-Wing pilot in the first movie.
He was an asshole though.

If this is "Wedge," I'm faintly amused. I have friends who are big Star Wars fans, and apparently Wedge is a major figure in most of the novels -- they fan over him to an extent that frankly worries me.



It's almost gotta be Wedge.

Hmmm, Star Wars fans obsessing over a fat slobby guy who's sucessful as a fighter pilot.  Wonder if we can figger out the psychology there?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
How Much I Dislike The Matrix and Love LOTR
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2003, 05:41:32 am »

Also, ever notice how much Wedge looks like George Lucas?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up