the text is written in the style of most manuals on learning an ancient language. By that i mean the mechanical translation and glossary method that is seen in many Greek and Latin texts.
I did something like this when I started learning Hindi. No way around writing it a lot to get a grip on the symbols.
Indeed, rather than just do the exercises I am actually taking all of the various sentences that I've come across (i'm in Lesson 3) and am manually transcribing them to cuneiform so that I can memorize them. I think I've got about a third of the symbols committed to memory.
One thing that's interesting about Old Persian rather than modern Farsi is that rather than a dearth of vowels (thanks to most semitic scripts) that one has to piece in by context, there is a surfeit of vowels, as each letter is for the most part a syllable. Yet the spoken word often doesn't have the vowel, so you need to know when to
omit rather than insert.
It's kind of a pain in the ass but I learned some pretty neat stuff so far -- apparently old Indo-Iranian languages use "R" as a
vowel. The closest analog is if a cockney were to say "pr'haps" to mean "perhaps". I've often seen the Rig Veda translated as the Rg Veda -- I wonder if that means the R is a vowel there too.
As I said, I want this under my belt and then I'm going on to the Sanskrit.
I wouldn't call it brain kidney stones, I'd call it a brain
pregnancy. The pain is roughly equivalent but at the end there's something worthwhile. And if not, I can dump all my Sanskrit and Old Persian lessons in a garbage bag behind a Taco Bell and no one will arrest me.