Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: On course for vegulon prime  (Read 7726 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
On course for vegulon prime
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:30:20 am »

Prompted by Bobby's Turk'y thread.
Can anyone recommend any vegetarian/vegan dishes that are actually awesome? I want to dabble with the vego thing for a while, not out of any moral reason, I'm just sick of most of my dinners consisting of what me and my housemate can do with mince and chicken (read: lots of pasta, curry and bastardizations of mexican cuisine). Also, it seems vegetables are cheaper than meat by weight and I'm going to be a poor student again next year so having a more versatile culinary set at my disposal seems sensible.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:18:36 am »

Prompted by Bobby's Turk'y thread.
Can anyone recommend any vegetarian/vegan dishes that are actually awesome? I want to dabble with the vego thing for a while, not out of any moral reason, I'm just sick of most of my dinners consisting of what me and my housemate can do with mince and chicken (read: lots of pasta, curry and bastardizations of mexican cuisine). Also, it seems vegetables are cheaper than meat by weight and I'm going to be a poor student again next year so having a more versatile culinary set at my disposal seems sensible.

Vegetarian dishes: (ie with cheese or egg)

pasta with pesto genovese, mushrooms/kidney beans/artichoke hearts/raisins and pine nuts (one, or maybe two of these choices at a time please), liberal use of parmesan and mozzarella cheese to make it all yummy-sticky (chopped tomato optional)

okra and blackeye pea curry with stewed tomato and hardboiled egg (garam masala type curry) over rice

fried halloumi (cypriot cheese, doesn't melt) with dill, serves over butter beans that have been tossed in butter or oil and chopped fennel root and sprigs. Or over lentils and szechuan long pepper and mint.

Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:59:14 am »

Prompted by Bobby's Turk'y thread.
Can anyone recommend any vegetarian/vegan dishes that are actually awesome? I want to dabble with the vego thing for a while, not out of any moral reason, I'm just sick of most of my dinners consisting of what me and my housemate can do with mince and chicken (read: lots of pasta, curry and bastardizations of mexican cuisine). Also, it seems vegetables are cheaper than meat by weight and I'm going to be a poor student again next year so having a more versatile culinary set at my disposal seems sensible.

On the subject of vegulonism (especially vegulonic cats of the non-cartoon type)

http://www.vegancats.com/pages/1007/FAQ.htm

On the one hand I applaud the vegan cat food producers for
a) pointing out that synthetic taurine is in use, both in so-called vegan cat food and in most non-vegan cat foods
b) recommending that cats be fed some meat to avoid UTIs

The increasingly belligerent tone of the Q's in the FAQ implies that this in fact something that is asked/insisted upon often. Don't want meat to be eaten, even by your pets? DON'T HARBOR AN OBLIGATE CARNIVORE. It's just like that maniac who owns Patches the hoss (which, by the way, is a great hoss, best ever) -- and feeds it a hamburger.

On the subject of herbivores eating animal protein, however, I do get a little pissy about vegulons who won't eat anything that's touched something that's touched something that's non-vegulon, insh'allah etc. FFS, a cow or hoss will eat hundreds of little insects with each bite of grass, and you don't see them complaining.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

Don't want meat to be eaten, even by your pets? DON'T HARBOR AN OBLIGATE CARNIVORE.

It's always a questionable practice to impose one's morals on another, especially in a way that is likely to be fatal for that other.

I have no patience with veganism. But, as for meatless meals: I thought I couldn't stand to eat zuchinni ever again in my life but last night made some great zucchini pancakes.  Grated zucchini, eggs, a little flour, feta cheese, fried in olive oil.  I used fresh mint. We got the idea from a Greek restaurant that used fresh dill which was fantastic, but unfortunately I couldn't keep a dill plant alive this year so I didn't have any available.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 01:13:36 pm »

Prompted by Bobby's Turk'y thread.
Can anyone recommend any vegetarian/vegan dishes that are actually awesome? I want to dabble with the vego thing for a while, not out of any moral reason, I'm just sick of most of my dinners consisting of what me and my housemate can do with mince and chicken (read: lots of pasta, curry and bastardizations of mexican cuisine). Also, it seems vegetables are cheaper than meat by weight and I'm going to be a poor student again next year so having a more versatile culinary set at my disposal seems sensible.

Get an Indian cookbook. There are a million grelicious vegetarian recipes, not all involving curry. Tony Bourdain even said that he has no use whatsoever for vegetarian cuisine excepting that he loves Indian food.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 01:42:26 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't had pesto or halloumi in ages. The zuchinni pancakes even sound good though I'm with wombat on being against that vegetable in general, I guess that's kind of what I want: more interesting ways to prepare vegetables to make them actually tasty beyond the boiled [insert legume here] that I was raised on.
I love indian with a sick sick passion, I don't know why that hadn't occurred to me.

That cat food though, that people would inadvertently harm their pets out of a love for animals is equal parts tragic and hilarious. People obviously arguing enough to warrant three FAQ entries is even better. There's some point to be made there about values and ideals meeting reality and losing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 02:10:37 pm »

The SO makes a really good stir fry with japanese eggplant that she got for an all vegetarian Mahdur Jafri (sp?) cook book. I could look that up.

Most of the other stuff she makes I think is pretty gross, but then I hate beans so that rules out quite a lot of vegetarian food.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:17:59 pm »

It's not just the cats, either.

Some well meaning (I assume) parents attempting to have their babies be Vegan have to be very, very careful to ensure that their kids get enough fat in their diet to develop normal neurological tissue. It can be done, but it's pretty necessary to consult with physicians and dieticians to balance their lifestyle choice with normal development.
There is a reason mammals have milk producing capabilities, after all. I don't understand why a vegan woman would refuse even to breastfeed. But it's a choice.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 03:16:11 pm »

I like this:

Curried Chick Pea Soup

Ingredients:

8 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp cumin seed
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp coriander seed
1 yellow onion, finely diced
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp cracked pepper
8 garlic cloves
1/8 tsp tumeric
3 tbsp minced ginger
3 cups canned chick peas, drained
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded*
1/4 cup prepared mango chutney
1 red pepper
1/2 can coconut milk
6 ripe tomatoes**
1/2 bunch of cilantro, minced
1. Heat oil in a soup pot and add onion, 1 tsp salt and bay leaves. Saute until the onions are soft and golden. Meanwhile, place the garlic, ginger, jalapenos, pepper and tomatoes in a food processor and pulse until the vegetables form a rough puree. Set aside.

2. Next, grind the cumin and coriander seeds. Add these and all remaining spices to the sauteed onions and continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable puree and another teaspoon of salt and simmer until small blobs of oil pool on the surface. Add the chick peas and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook several minutes, then add the chutney and coconut milk. Using a potato masher, gently mash the chickpeas against the bottom of the pot to break them up slightly and thicken the soup. Simmer and season to taste with salt and cracked pepper. Add chopped cilantro just before serving.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 04:02:50 pm »

It's not just the cats, either.

Some well meaning (I assume) parents attempting to have their babies be Vegan have to be very, very careful to ensure that their kids get enough fat in their diet to develop normal neurological tissue. It can be done, but it's pretty necessary to consult with physicians and dieticians to balance their lifestyle choice with normal development.
There is a reason mammals have milk producing capabilities, after all. I don't understand why a vegan woman would refuse even to breastfeed. But it's a choice.

I'm pretty sure that vegans who refuse to breastfeed or give babies formula are about .01 ppm.

If we want to go all the way anecdotal, I'm pretty sure there are far more upstanding omni parents that like to feed their babies carbonated sugar water.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 04:23:36 pm »

I REFUSE TO ALLOW MYSELF TO BE ENSLAVED FOR MY BREASTMILK!

HOW DARE YOU!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 04:27:05 pm »

I REFUSE TO ALLOW MYSELF TO BE ENSLAVED FOR MY BREASTMILK!

HOW DARE YOU!

Your breasts are part of the commons now.  GIVE IT UP TO THE POPULACE, SWEET TITS.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 06:34:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure that vegans who refuse to breastfeed or give babies formula are about .01 ppm.

If we want to go all the way anecdotal, I'm pretty sure there are far more upstanding omni parents that like to feed their babies carbonated sugar water.

I know there isn't a Vegan Orthodoxy, so asking you is about as useful as asking anyone else (ie. I could get 1000 different answers), but --

Isn't the principle behind vegulonism that there is no unwilling animal suffering?

Ergo milk (or meat, for that matter) that is willingly provided (ie from mother to child) from a sentient being (ie, human) should be O.K.

I guess, so could a finger willingly chopped off, Yakuza-style.

Then again, on that principle, it should be OK to drink milk and eat eggs if the cows and chickens are not mistreated (ie. in battery cages). If your free-range pet chicken, Cluckers McBonky is dropping unfertilized eggs here and there, they're essentially a waste product that can be picked up and fried. I suppose the milk might be an issue because it COULD go to a calf rather than to a person.


Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 06:46:49 pm »

Pasta caprese is an ol' reliable.  Cheese is of course a major ingredient.

There's no end of vegetarian or vegan options for chili.  Jane & Michael Stern's "Chili Nation" has three vegetarian versions, I believe.  Here is one of them, though I personally found it a little bland.  My favorite is the big spicy vegetable stew representing the state of Louisiana.  I can post it from home later if there's interest.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: On course for vegulon prime
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 07:00:36 pm »

Middle eastern rice dishes are pretty heavy on meat, but you can omit the meat or substitute tofu or halloumi and it will be tasty. This is especially true if there are beans or lentils in the dish, e.g.



Just omit any meat from these recipes if they exist

http://www.recipezaar.com/92895 (the herbs keep it from getting bland)

http://www.recipezaar.com/284645 (pretty bland)

http://www.iranian.com/ashpazi.html#sept6a (very tart)

http://apps.exploratorium.edu/cgi-bin/yabb2-cooking/YaBB.pl?num=1029373312 (if not mixed with the rice and with a little more garlic this is the lebanese dish lobia belzait)

Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up