Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Ray's Place Thread (No Bad Pun's Please) (07-29-03)  (Read 5494 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
New Ray's Place Thread (No Bad Pun's Please) (07-29-03)
« on: August 03, 2003, 03:51:04 am »

I don't have anything to say about Ray's Place at the moment, but I thought there should be an open thread here nonetheless.  So no bad puns please so we can keep an open thread in this area.  Ok just to make this post barely relevant.  My favorite Ray quote from the column

Quote
Goths get tired of constantly being told that they "look like idiots" and "are annoying" and “can’t work the Drive-Thru if they keep dressing like ‘Dracula’s Knob-wipe.’”

~Paul

Column.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:05:52 am by Nabubrush »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
New Ray's Place Thread (No Bad Pun's Please)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 02:48:14 pm »

Apologies for the bad pun in the other thread.

It seems upon rereading that thread, my single pun inspired its locking. I think that makes three threads already on this very, very young message board for the locking of which I am responsible. (How can you not end that sentence with a preposition?)

I'll try to behave myself from now on, I promise.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
New Ray's Place Thread (No Bad Pun's Please)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 06:16:58 pm »

Choop -

Good job on undangling your preposition. That cracks me up because when I write for work I spend significant time building unwieldy sentences to get rid of passive voice and to tuck those prepositions away.

Maybe we have some kind of pathology.

My favorite Rays Place Quote comes from Ray:

Did your mom have on big “clumsy lady” lingerie, all with like a feather boa sewn across the front of the halter, and a large area of thick lace on the front to hide her old lady belly? Man, I don’t even know why I’m askin’ about that. Do me a favor and only read the first sentence of this paragraph. Was her butt pretty long and flat? Was there a long deep line heading down from her bellybutton between some jiggly tummy fat? Man, why do I keep askin' about this stuff?!

Eww.  And,  EWW.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
New Ray's Place Thread (No Bad Pun's Please)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 08:11:59 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
My favorite Rays Place Quote comes from Ray:

Did your mom have on big “clumsy lady” lingerie, all with like a feather boa sewn across the front of the halter, and a large area of thick lace on the front to hide her old lady belly? Man, I don’t even know why I’m askin’ about that. Do me a favor and only read the first sentence of this paragraph. Was her butt pretty long and flat? Was there a long deep line heading down from her bellybutton between some jiggly tummy fat? Man, why do I keep askin' about this stuff?!


This is just great. For certain meanings of "great."

Pontification time: I think that this, like all really good Ray's Place gags, derives its humor both from the letter-writer's pitiful situation and from Ray himself. Here, it's not just funny that we have a ludicrously detailed, icky description of the writer's mom in lingerie; that's funny by itself, but the gag goes from merely "fairly humorous" to "hilarious and a half" by Ray's realization of his own creepiness in asking all this stuff. Ray himself is sort of sick and sad, but -- here's the kicker -- he's still not sick and sad enough for people not to beg his advice.

... so, yeah, Ray's Place is good. Pontification mode off.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
New Ray's Place Thread (No Bad Pun's Please)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 12:42:23 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Here, it's not just funny that we have a ludicrously detailed, icky description of the writer's mom in lingerie; that's funny by itself, but the gag goes from merely "fairly humorous" to "hilarious and a half" by Ray's realization of his own creepiness in asking all this stuff. Ray himself is sort of sick and sad, but -- here's the kicker -- he's still not sick and sad enough for people not to beg his advice.


What makes that one is that even after he realizes it's wrong and gross he just keeps going.

Plus the german-thong thing was great for me because I spent the entire time thinking, "man, I thought that was just Inge."
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
New Ray's Place Thread (No Bad Pun's Please)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 03:55:07 pm »

Quote
Was there a long deep line heading down from her bellybutton between some jiggly tummy fat? Man, why do I keep askin' about this stuff?!


That whole bit by Ray cracks me up because it sounds like it's actually giving him a little charge, and he likes it.

ewww.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up