Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 3471 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Anime recommendations
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:15:05 pm »

Who's up for some anime discussion and recommendations? I'll get it going:

Cat Soup (Nekojiru-sou)[complete stream in Youtube].
Directed by Tatsuo Sato, inspired by the work of manga artist Nekojiru.

[img width= height=]http://www.icce.com.br/nekojiru2.jpg[/img]

[img width= height=]http://www.icce.com.br/nekojiru.jpg[/img]


Nekojiru (real name Hashiguchi Chiyomi) was a female mangaka who commited suicide in 1998. Her work is disconcerting due to the juxtaposition of a very kawaii visual style (as would befit stories depicting two anthropomorphic kitten siblings) with extremely cruel moments (pig characters are consistently mocked, assaulted, abused and killed). Violence, when it comes to happen, is very graphic and unforgiving. The overall feel is of cuteness, zaniness and nonsensu, but there's an unshakable undercurrent of dread throughout the stories. The manga was made into a TV series [Youtube link], and then in 2001 "Cat Soup"[Wikipedia entry], a 35 minutes movie, came along.

The movie shows a bizarre journey through a spirit world/dreamscape, with Nyatta (the younger kitten) & Nyako (his big sister) on a quest to retrieve the other half of Nyako's soul. It's beautiful at times, cute at times, and extremely unsettling all throughout, like those moments when a dream is about to become a nightmare; it trips so many balls it's amazing.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:22:32 pm »

I used to go to animeondvd.com every single day. But then I realized I couldn't afford all the stuff I wanted any more so I basically went cold turkey. Now I just get Ghost in the Shell DVDs and am only watching Code Geass on Cartoon Network.

I do sometimes worry that I'm missing the next Cowboy Bebop.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime recommendations
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:32:51 am »

I like anime, but I have not seen very much of it at all. It's one of those things; there's just so very much of it, like all those different kinds of coffee at the coffee shop, and then you just buy hot chocolate anyway. But I saw the first episode of Fruits Basket, and I found it extremely comforting. I think I would like Ghost in the Shell if I ever saw it.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Anime recommendations
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:25:53 pm »

Where's V-Adore when you need her, anyway? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Anime recommendations
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:04:35 pm »

Working on an advanced degree, perhaps?  Or motorcycling across the Southwest with a romantic conquest?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Anime recommendations
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 09:16:40 pm »

She could have said goodbye.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Anime recommendations
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 02:40:09 am »

Personally I liked the few episodes I saw of Bartender, which is just a quiet drama series about a bartender helping a person with his problems each episode.

Also, Paranoia Agent (and anything by Satoshi Kon) is fantastic.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Anime recommendations
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 04:06:21 am »

This thread got me thinking, I haven't watched any new anime in ages. I've been keeping up with the new Hellsing OVA but that's about it.

One thing I watched a couple of years ago but not many people I know have seen is 'Voices from a distant star'. It's just a short movie, I don't think it's even 90 minutes, about two kids in love etc. then one gets conscripted (or volunteers? I forget) for the space-based army. As they move further away from earth at relativistic speeds messages take longer and longer to send so the character in space stays young while the person left behind waits longer and longer for each message.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:13:02 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Anime recommendations
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »

...Aaand we're back.



Today I'll watch the two last eps. (of 26) of "Planetes" and I already miss it. It quickly became one of my top 5 animes (granted, I'm not a hardcore aficionado nor a connoisseur, just a dude who likes to watch animation stoned once in a while, so my perspective might be a bit off. I tend to prefer animes drawn closer to the realist style, as I'm a big sucker for both mechanical and biological design).

Summary: "2001: A Space Odyssey" without aliens. The plot concerns the day-to-day experiences of a group of space workers while showing the political and economical consequences of space exploration (it' not pretty, both in the personal and social levels).

The series is about the lives of a rather large cast of characters who live and work in space during the year 2076, from the bottom of the corporate ladder to the top of the global political chain of command (represented by an expy of NATO called "INTO"). The main cast is comprised of blue-collar workers, unglamourized astronauts tasked with the tedious job of removing space debris from the Earth's orbit. Despite their work being essential for the continuation of space exploration, a janitor is still a janitor and, being at the bottom of the corporate ladder, they don't get any respect from the rest of the company.

Of course there are... shenanigans, since space is a pretty unforgiving place, but they're mostly subdued. If you go into it expecting nonstop action you1'll be disappointed, but if you tag along the series long enough, you'll see shit hitting the fan with unparalleled gusto from half the series onwards, and the last eps are groin-grabbingly tense (What? What do you do when you get tense?), as the Debris Section (our half-assed "heroes") inadvertently gets caught in a major political struggle between a terrorist group who wants to stop the space program (which has bled Earth's resources dry, leaving the place a hotbed of political instability with a lot of piss-poor countries ravaged by wars) and the series' version of NATO, who wants to continue space exploration. There's a lot more going on, though, and despite all its technical brilliance, its near flawless script, the focus throughout the series is really the interpersonal drama and how it reflects big questions about human values under extreme duress. A big theme is idealism vs. cynicism, for instance; another is altruistic love vs. self-interest. Yet another is the soul-crushing solitude that comes with space-related work.

One of the many plot threads concerns the protagonist, Hoshino Hachirōta, who always dreamed of having his own spaceship, but never really did much to accomplish that. He has gone soft, working as a junk jockey for some 6 years already without a lot to show for it. Then along comes an opportunity to work EVA in the first mission to Jupiter - but that means 7 years away from family, friends and the romantic interest he just met. Add to that the fact that prolonged stays in space will most likely give you cancer and almost literally will eat your bones away, shortening your life expectancy by a whole lot, and soon Hoshino realizes the scope of the sacrifice one has to be prepared to make in order to take part in History. And so on.

So if you like your sci-fi hard, this one's for you, because I can count in the fingers of one hand the times when I saw such a realistic depiction of life in space. There's lots of human drama, the characters are interesting and the scenes in space are, well... otherworldly.

5/5
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up