Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Braid  (Read 2252 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Braid
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:42:58 am »

So I just finished Braid, for those who don't know it's an X-Box live arcade (tm? registered trade mark? etc. etc.) platformer game with an intersting time control puzzle mechanic, but what really puts it over the top is the atmosphere of the game. I was going to say story there but if I'm honest the story isn't necessarily super strong but the appearance of a story is if that makes sense. On top of that the music and art is just beautiful (not graphics: art I realised about halfway through that I recognised the style and sure enough it was all done by David Hellman of A Lesson is learned but the Damage is Irreversible.) and the level design really was great. There were plenty of puzzles that stumped me but once I worked them out I was always grinning at how crafty the game was, as opposed to being pissed off at a cheap trick.

Anyway, anyone else play it? I'd love to hear what other people thought of the story but I won't discuss it right now for fear of spoiling it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:08:30 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Braid
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:25:25 pm »

Is there a PC version out? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Braid
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:44:27 pm »

Not yet, there's meant to be by the end of the year.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Braid
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 02:56:07 pm »

Since I don't own a console, I'll have to wait until the PC version comes out... incidentally, Doc, did you see this Braid review from Yahtzee Crosshaw (of "Zero Punctuation" fame)?




Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Braid
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:08:06 pm »

I did, that was what made me decide to get it since it was something like the third place I'd heard someone ranting about it.

Re-reading my first post I just realised I practically come across as an astro-turfer and one with poor punctuation at that. My excuse is that I'd just finished the game and was really buzzing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Braid
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 11:13:57 pm »

Let's jut say that Croshaw's review really stunned my husband, Adrian. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Braid
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:23:40 pm »

Well it's about time he took responsibility.

If you plan to get it I'd almost recommend you don't read too much about it, like portal and similar games a lot of the fun I had was discovering the new twists and turns for myself.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Braid
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 02:27:36 pm »

Just working a bit of thread necromancy.
This game is now available on Steam, Penny Arcade's Greenhouse, and Stardock. I understand 15 bucks is considered pricey over there where full games only cost 50 but I'm pimping this thing half a year since I finished it, I've been waiting for the PC release so I can tell you all to go play it, it really was something special for me. I'm curious as to how well the controls will port to PC since on it's most basic level it's just a platformer (which I don't really like playing with keyboard).

There would be worse ways to spend your easter weekend people.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Braid
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 03:49:37 pm »

Just heard that Ghostmaster is available on Steam now, too -- $3 (US) I think?  If you've never played it, it's worth a couple of bucks to futz around with, just for the sake of seeing some unique gameplay mechanics. 

It's a basically a puzzle game, but each puzzle has multiple valid solutions based on the internal logic of the game (as opposed to a puzzle/adventure with one solution to each problem that's essentially arbitrary based on whatever method occurred to the level designer first.) 

Good stuff. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1]   Go Up