Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricane Ike  (Read 7366 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Hurricane Ike
« on: September 11, 2008, 04:23:01 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 11:53:54 pm »

Different headspaces man. Somebody says "Ike," I think "Eisenhower."
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 12:12:29 am »

Different headspaces man. Somebody says "Ike," I think "Eisenhower."

Me too, but I fuck*ng love music.  Then again I was a history major who "specialized" in Cold War politics.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:13:57 am »

See, I thought of the little brother on South Park.

"Kick the hurricane!" "No, don' kick da hurcayn!"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 12:23:12 am »

I too keep picturing ike turner hurling towards Houston on a coke binge.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:09:55 am »

So are you really not evacuating, Paul?  What about about all that "certain death" jazz the Weather Service is sending out?  Remember to hold your camera above the water, whatever you do.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 06:18:56 am »

I'm sticking.  I live 60 miles from the coast for one thing.  The storm will have subsided considerably by the time it gets to me.  Still hurricane strength maybe, but weakening.  I'll try to keep dry.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 02:17:09 pm »

We'll get pics right?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:07:13 am »

So the gas is already up 20 cents, 50 cents, a dollar a gallon, before anything even happens? This is why gas will always be expensive, because we're morons who hear a man fart in the woods and start screaming "What'll it do to the gas? Fill it up now!"
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 06:50:00 am »

Hurricanes suck.

I've mentioned this before, but they suck.

Don't be in a hurricane, people.  Riding it out is not a fun option.  I know Paul won't see this for about a week or so, but yeah.  If a hurricane is going to be in a place, make all efforts to not be in that place.  That place will be full of wind and rain for about 36 hours, and then it will not have power, and that's if you're lucky.

Stay dry, man.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 06:57:44 pm »

I lost power last night about 2:30 (along with most of Houston), but my friend Amy has power.  Clean living on her part.  I am at her house now surfing the web and eating an omlette.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 10:35:26 pm »

I lost power last night about 2:30 (along with most of Houston), but my friend Amy has power.  Clean living on her part.  I am at her house now surfing the web and eating an omlette.



Wow, it sounds like the only way this could've worked out better for you was if you were eating Amy.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:44:36 pm »

The Hurricane gave me a chance to watch people go ape shit. Sheetz was the last gas station in town to update their gas prices, so there was a line down the street to get gas at 3.60 before it went to 4.09 this morning. I guess people learned their lesson after gas shot to near $5 after Katrina.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 11:49:11 pm »

Yesterday I heard that wholesale prices were up to $4.85. When I drove to the farmers' market this morning I passed my regular Hess and it was still at $3.55 but on my way home, less than an hour later it was up a dime.

What's funny to me is that the stations that are normally huge rip-offs are going to have a brief period where they're actually reasonable. Like there's an Exxon by me that was charging like $3.69 last week, way over everybody else nearby, but I'm sure by now $3.69 is a bargain.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 12:49:44 am »

Paul, I'm glad you are OK.

I was on the phone with my mom and she said Texas was getting hit pretty bad, and all I thought was "Paul!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up