Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricane Ike  (Read 7340 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 01:20:04 am »

Yeah, I held off on sitting in the lines and filling up because I figured whatever supply line problems that developed would be temporarily resolved by Monday, when we'll have to fill up again. I'm still holding out hope. If not, maybe I can talk my boss into letting me work from home for a couple of days as a gas conservation effort.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 01:24:28 pm »

Glad to hear you're all right, Paul. 

News reports on Friday said that gas was over $5/gal on the north end of Raleigh, but I stumbled upon gas for $3.68 early in the day.  They were asking people to limit themselves to 10 gallons, but that was OK with me.  I live near enough to everything that I only fill up my tank about every ten days.  I should have enough to get through until it comes back down under $4.  In some parts of town, it's already close to that. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 10:41:35 pm »

We heard all the "ZOMG the gas is vanishing fill up yr tanks now!!!!1111!!!!!oneoneone" messages on Friday, and I chose to wait. We had 3/4 of a tank. Drove past all the $4.19s, $4.39s... filled up eventually on Monday night at $3.79 and was still a little pissy I couldn't hold out for it to come down a little more.

Seriously, though, if there's anyone out there who STILL doesn't feel like our dependency on gas is our nation's #1 weakness, let me know so I can come to your house and break your legs.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 11:11:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure I am going to buy a bike.

Yep. Bike. Bike and the metro. I am glad that I have no responsibilities which require me to go anyplace not available by those two means.

...also my brother totaled our car, so I won't have the option to drive when I'm home either.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 12:23:12 am »

Bike and public transport have worked well for me so far. That said my house mate has a car so we take that when we go grocery shopping or similar (which I feel a bit of a heel about) but that's basically the only time I'm in a car these days, living close to the city totally rocks.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 02:43:17 am »

Yeah, well.  I lived IN the city for six years, and I still had to drive everywhere.  I was four miles from downtown and couldn't walk or bike to the grocery store.  I lived 500 yards from a bus stop, but the public transportation in this town is so shitty that it doesn't actually go anywhere you'd want to.  I occasionally took the bus home from work in the afternoons when we were both working and only had one car, but it was an 8 minute commute by car and a 45 minute bus ride with 1 transfer.  No contest if you have the option. 

I drive 70% less now that I live in the suburbs.   I still have to drive almost everywhere I go, but at least the places I go most regularly are near my house.  This town is pretty good about mixed-use development, and though I could theoretically walk to the grocery store, I never have.  (Not with two kids!) 

I have walked to the farmer's market, though, which makes me feel double crunchy.     
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 03:18:06 am »

In Charlotte, 90% of the bus lines run into Uptown. I once tried to figure out how I could ride the bus to work, and learned that the best route required me to leave at 6:00, and got me a mile away from work about 20 minutes after the latest time I'm allowed to arrive. The ride back would get me home around 7:30. The 10% of the other routes run to the light rail, which runs... Uptown.

They say it's because Uptown is the center of it all, and there's no denying that, but Charlotte is so sprawled that it's possible to live in the city for years and never find a reason to go into the center of it all. Our favorite restaurants are south of the city, in Pineville. Our work is to the west of the city. Our favorite shopping is in Concord, which as the crow flies we would go right through Uptown to get to, but with the ring of I-485, we divert ourselves around the city to get there.

I think part of our problem is that we've got too much room. With the possible exception of the Philadelphia-New York-Boston corridor, there's lots of room for cities to build out. The lebensraum makes efficient public transit difficult to achieve, because we're all going in different directions.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 03:20:30 am »

Yeah I couldn't do just public transport, I actually have to leave my house about 20 minutes earlier if I want to get to work by bus than if I ride. Brisbane has pretty decent public transport though, it used to be that you basically had to go into the city and then out again to get from one suburb to the next but they're slowly interconnecting and it's getting a lot better. Also the no kids thing helps.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 03:26:56 am »

When we lived in Evanston, we only needed a car if we wanted or needed to go to another town.

We could walk to movies and restaurants, shopping and both the CTA and Metra trains.

I miss being able to meet almost all of my life's needs on foot. That was a pretty nice place to live.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 04:40:49 am »

About the closest place I could catch any form of public transportation would be my office, so that'd kind of defeat the purpose I guess.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 03:11:00 am »

It's nine days later and I still don't have power.  It's really starting to suck.  School started up again today so that's cool.  I have a generator, but it's a pain in the ass and my internet isn't working anyway so I am here at the coffee shop writing this letter to you.

But I'm doing fine.  Just getting tired of no electricity.  Don't know when it's coming back.  Soon I hope.

I took some pictures...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 07:05:04 pm »

Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 10:05:27 pm »

I saw this and thought, "Damn, dude must have been struggling to have his numbers come out all squiggly like that."

Didn't dawn on me that a man might want to digitally alter a picture of his SSN. I'm not firing on all cylinders today.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 05:57:35 pm »

"I'll always remember that time I tried to write on my arm with a water-soluble marker in a hurricane."
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up