Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wedding Shuffle  (Read 6943 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Wedding Shuffle
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:17:58 am »

Hey folks,

Seems I need about 1.5 hrs more music for the wedding reception iPod shuffle.  Please offer your suggestions, remembering music must apeal to folks 20 -50 with a cluster of 70-86 yr olds also attending.  We're looking for background music, not dance music.  The central music has been focused on: the Beatles, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and an assortment of popular songs about love from the 50's - 08 such as Billy Joel - Always A Woman, Neil Young - Harvest Moon, Willy Nelson - Always on My Mind)  basically the sort of popular tunes that are/will be classic enough to be palatable to a broad demographic without totally disgusting the SO and I's dislike of shitty stuff.  Either recognizable or too beautiful to not be enjoyed is basically what we're aiming for.

Suggestions?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 04:31:19 am »

I recently attended a wedding reception where half the attendees were of retirement age.

"Baby Got Back" was played by the DJ.

My jaw dropped. Best to avoid such mistakes.

I'd suggest throwing in some of the slower softer Stones stuff. "Angie" "Wild hosss" that sorta thing.

Ben Folds' more romantical stuff?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:38:14 am »

I think ive recommended Leslie Feist here before as background music. I stand by this decision. Completely inoffensive, soft voice, unobtrusive beat.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 06:15:05 am »

Love Will Keep us Together, obviously and Muskrat Love.  You Are So Beautiful to Me (Joe Cocker), Lost in Love (Air Supply), You've Got it All Over Him (The Jets).

LFM, don't underestimate the old people.

~Paul
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:20:21 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:35:38 pm »

Well, first off, I want to say "Do You Love Me"-- The Contours.
But that's definitely a Dancing song, not a Romancing song.

Crazy Love-- Van Morrison
Fever-- Little Willie John or Peggy Lee
Try a Little Tenderness-- Otis Redding
When a Man Loves a Woman (?)-- Percy Sledge (I guess it is kind of Corny. I have a weakness for sappy love songs, just try to imagine all the motown songs i have censored from this list)
Hallelujah and I love her So-- Ray Charles
Sam Cooke-- (ain't that) good news, almost anything else.
Dedicated to the One I love-- the shirelles
stevie wonder-- any number of things
the beatles-- All I've Got to Do (I love this song so much, oh my god.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:33:18 pm »

Sam Cooke-- (ain't that) good news, almost anything else.
Sam Cooke, that is another guy I would load up on.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:29:12 pm »

lately I am working on this theory where... for a long time I have been into punk rock, indie rock, metal, whatever. And those are things that... maybe they're your thing, maybe they aren't your thing. if they are, you'll know it, and you'll like it.

But my theory is that if you've grown up in the English-speaking world, you like soul music. it is one of the basic musics of no offense to anybody.
What I'm saying is, I kind of think if you can't like soul music, there is something wrong going on in your brain.

Yeah, yeah.

Maybe it isn't what you want to listen to every day. Maybe it isn't what you want at your wedding. But, come on.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 12:01:21 am »

Dan, we are not for the most part 19 year olds  who grew up on the Backstreet Boys and now think Coldplay rules.  You don't have to really work that hard to convince us that Sweet Soul Music, or soul music in general is awesome.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:02:30 am »

i know. I just... wow. It is some good stuff.

Apparently out of my friends I am the only one whose parents didn't listen to this stuff throughout their childhood. So. I am coming to it late in life.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 01:02:24 am »

i know. I just... wow. It is some good stuff.

Apparently out of my friends I am the only one whose parents didn't listen to this stuff throughout their childhood. So. I am coming to it late in life.

I find the last part of this statement extremely, unintentionally, humorous.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 01:10:12 am »

yeah. I mean. oh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 01:11:31 am »

I was thinking the other day how lucky it is to be able to find old music and relive an entire musician's career on-demand. There is a world of music in history that other people had to wait for, and now I just throw an entire lifetime on my ipod.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 01:52:08 am »

There is a world of music in history that other people had to wait for, and now I just throw an entire lifetime on my ipod.

That is an interesting way to think of it. Usually if I find some group that doesn't exist anymore I am sad that it will never come out with another recording. A-Cap sees the glass as half full.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 09:14:36 am »

  • Beyond the Sea is always a good one.  I prefer Royal Crown Revue's version, but there are tons of good ones.
  • Dave Brubeck plays well to everyone.  Take Five is great, of course, but there are some other great songs.  I can't find a link for my favorite, Symphony, but it was on the Paper Moon album.
  • The Beta Band - Dry The Rain and B + A are probably my favorites off of The Three EPs.(Yes, this is why I own that album)
  • You already have A Kiss to Build a Dream On, of course.  Right?
  • Slow down, you move too fast.
  • Chris Cornell probably isn't the voice you're looking for, but give Sunshower a listen.
  • You could probably sneak some Led Zeppelin in if you try hard enough.
  • They may not exactly fit for a wedding, but my completely un-hip 67 year old mother likes Lemon Jelly.
  • I like Vanessa Carlton.
  • Surprisingly, Phish have recorded at least one okay song.
  • Sneaky Hendrix
  • Morcheeba isn't exactly mainstream, but they have the occasional smooth song that makes for good background music.  I particularly like their cover of Crystal Blue Persuasion.

BTW, I apologize for some of the video accompaniments here.  Also: tired.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Shuffle
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 10:33:49 pm »

The only song I insisted on at my wedding was Peter Gabriel "In Your Eyes".

Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up