Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 3946 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Twin Peaks
« on: November 11, 2003, 02:29:40 am »

I know side_show digs the 90's doughnut-drama Twin Peaks, at least. If anyone else enjoyed the series and invested money inthe very nice season 1 boxset, follow this link to the bad news for a season 2 release:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=815
Any other fans of the show out there? [lynch geek] I still quote from it like people should know what I'm talking about. [/lynch geek] You'd think Artisan would have made plans for both seasons in advance since it only ran for that many. I sold my VHS boxset of the series in anticipation and have since learned not to assume.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Twin Peaks
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 02:35:34 am »

You know, I never picked up the first season since I have all of the epidodes on VHS, taped when they first aired (those commercials are hilarious).

I guess I'll pick it up if it'll help the cause.  It's kinda pricey, though, huh?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Twin Peaks
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 02:41:30 am »

I too am a Lynch geek.
I had to explain Lost Highway to a girlfriend of mine when we watched it with my mom one night. Which was fun.
I didn't buy Twin Peaks, although my brother is donating his DVD's of series one to me, since he is picking up, or has done, the retouched version.
Since the sound is terrible on the one he had.
I must get round to watching Mulholland Drive! I've had it on tape for about a month now but not gotten round to it.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Twin Peaks
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 03:13:46 am »

My boxed set was lent to my boyfriend's mom months ago.  His folks just returned his Futurama boxed set, and it was very very scratched up, so I'm really worried.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Twin Peaks
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 03:30:15 am »

Jough-- I paid about 40 for it when it came out. It is now 21 bones on DDD. Yipes, maybe it didn't do so well.  :shock:
From what I understand, it looks and sounds better than it did when it aired (and therefore vastly superior to the VHS set, which was recorded in SLP and sounds terrible and the reds so prominantly featured in the show wash everything out). Well worth the upgrade for less than a b-tier Criterion price.

Slink-- You must watch Mulholland Dr. Not only top-notch weirdo noir, but hot girl-girl action as well.   :)  It nips at the heels of Blue Velvet as my favorite Lynch joint. A great character study.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Twin Peaks
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 03:51:07 am »

Quote from: "FeeReep"
It nips at the heels of Blue Velvet as my favorite Lynch joint. A great character study.


Everyone (well, OK, my brother and his mates, and now you) have recommended it highly. And since it's prerelease I've been looking forward to it.
Was never as sure of Blue Velvet myself. Not sure why. I'll have to watch it again, since last time was about 2 years ago, very stoned, and so I can't remember whether I liked it that time.

Oh, and vis-a-vis the hot girl on girl action, I may have to persuade my mom it's not worth me watching with her and that she should go ahead without me. She wanted me to save it 'til I visited, since she really likes Lynch too.

But anyhow, I do look forward to watching Twin Peaks again. I just hope someone manages to persuade them to release it. Even just a non swanky version would do!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Twin Peaks
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 04:32:24 am »

Man, if Dean Stockwell's eerie rendition of "Candy-colored Clown" doesn't make you laugh with maniacal glee, then you were a little too high. Wow, too high to watch Blue Velvet... that sounds like a winter break project.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Twin Peaks
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 04:36:19 am »

My "favorite" is "Eraserhead" but I don't watch it very often because it's so...jarring?  It just effects me too strongly to watch often.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Twin Peaks
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 04:41:35 am »

Does "Dune" get no love anymore?  C'mon, it had Sting and Agent Cooper in it!

Twin Peaks was one that I loved at first, then I realised it was a joke, so I loved it a little more, and then it just grew really old and dull.

I admit it, though, Lynch got me.  Good on him.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Twin Peaks
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 04:54:33 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Does "Dune" get no love anymore?  C'mon, it had Sting and Agent Cooper in it!


I forgot all about that. Watched it again not long ago, and while it had the odd failing (mainly due to budget and legal reasons) it is a great movie. Beat the Sci Fi channels version for sure.

Quote from: "FeeReep"
Man, if Dean Stockwell's eerie rendition of "Candy-colored Clown" doesn't make you laugh with maniacal glee, then you were a little too high.

High enough that I don't remember it, let alone my reaction to it!
I guess that answers the question... I will have to get round to watching it again soon!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Twin Peaks
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2003, 04:56:54 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Does "Dune" get no love anymore?  C'mon, it had Sting and Agent Cooper in it!

Twin Peaks was one that I loved at first, then I realised it was a joke, so I loved it a little more, and then it just grew really old and dull.

I admit it, though, Lynch got me.  Good on him.


I tried to watch all of twin peaks off a friend's vhs taped copies, and I have to admit I found myself doing quite a bit of fast forwarding at times.  Especially the whole burning down the mill story line.  Snore.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Twin Peaks
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2003, 06:50:35 am »

Ahhh, memories. When I first got the box my sophomore year of college, my friends would get together for Twin Peaks Tuesdays and we'd watch one or two episodes a week. We'd dress up as characters from the show for the season finales and Fire Walk with Me. You may point and laugh now, or after I find and post the pictures.

1)
Quote
Twin Peaks was one that I loved at first, then I realised it was a joke, so I loved it a little more, and then it just grew really old and dull.


We have ABC to thank for the decline in quality. Lynch and Frost got so tired of fighting with them that they eventually they only showed up for landmark episodes like Laura's killer being revealed and the final episode. You'd think Lynch would have learned his lesson, but ABC is also the reason that Mulholland Dr was a feature-length film and not a television show. They hired him to write a pilot and were genuinely suprised when it was strange. Go figure. Luckily, he is popular in France and Studio Canal picked up the rights and let him film it. And then he got nominated for an Oscar. If only it had been a reality show...

2) *TP related spoiler* I hated the sawmill storyline and specifically, and Piper Laurie in general, but she really did fool me as the Japanese guy. I heard that Lynch ran fake stories about the fake-credited Tajimori in the trades and newspapers when it was Catherine in drag the whole time. Not many actresses would voluntarily have their names removed from the credits for a gag. Obnoxious, but a sport.

3) I don't know how I feel about Dune, but I like the Lynch/De Laurentiis stories that came from it. Dino had a lot of faith in the man.

4) I'm not quite sure if I like Wild at Heart either, but I will name my firstborn Bobby Peru.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Twin Peaks
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2003, 05:55:48 pm »

Ok, Lynch geeks, which of you is going to explain the appeal to me.  

I managed to miss Twin Peaks in its original run, and when two of my friends decided to re-visit the show via the VHS box set a few yeas back, I missed it again (being at work most of the nights they watched).

But this got me to thinking.  Most people I know who have good taste (in my opinion) are big David Lynch fans.  So I figured I must be missing something good, right.  But when I sat down to watch Blue Velvet, I only made it ~3/4 through before shutting it off.  It just did nothing for me.  

So what's the problem?  Am I just not 'hip' enough (a likely explanation)?  I was under the impression that Blue Velvet was one of Lynch's more 'accessible' projects.  Is that not the case, and if so what should I try?  I don't think I disliked it because of the 'weirdness' or 'darkness', since I'm a fan of films by people like Terry Gilliam, the Coen brothers, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, not to mention classic noir and old German expressionist films.

Any suggestions?
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Twin Peaks
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2003, 06:03:56 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
 I don't think I disliked it because of the 'weirdness' or 'darkness', since I'm a fan of films by people like Terry Gilliam, the Coen brothers, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, not to mention classic noir and old German expressionist films.
Any suggestions?


Good other choices there!
But, well, as I say, first time I watched Blue Velvet I didn't like it much. And the second time, I can't remember it. I remember like one bit, but I don't remember what I made of it either.
So I have to try again. But it may be that, while I like all the other Lynch, I may still not like Blue Velvet. So, it's possibly not unheard of.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Twin Peaks
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2003, 12:09:40 am »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
I'm a fan of films by people like Terry Gilliam, the Coen brothers, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, not to mention classic noir and old German expressionist films.

Any suggestions?


Try Jan Svankmajer, I recommend "Alice" first or maybe "Faust," and there are also some dvds of his collected shorter works that just came out that are also great.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0840905/
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up