Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog of September  (Read 3838 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Blog of September
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:20:22 pm »

http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2008/09/achewood-world-tour-pt-1.html

A party none of us got to go to. Sounds like he saw the virtues of not being a hermit:

Quote
I wasn't sure what to expect at the First Ever Achewood Book Signing and Party-Off, as I've been relatively inaccessible for most of my writing career (piano lessons). It was a treat, and as soon as we returned home I contacted my publisher with urgent plans to set up signings in the following major metropolitan areas:

Portland, OR
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Boston, MA
Austin, TX

If you're local to any of those and would like to suggest a comic shop as a venue, or would like to suggest another city which could hold a signing, by all means contact me (Canada—what's up, girl?). I greatly enjoyed a night with you all, and would like to punctuate autumn with several more of the same.

There is actually a comic book store basically around the corner from me, but I have never set foot in it. I have occasionally considered it, but it's just too frightening. I suppose this makes it highly unlikely that I will convince them to hold an Achewood signing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »

I can't believe you didn't link to the picture of the great man himself.  Dude steps out of his Salinger phase, least we can do is recognize it.

Also, Onstad is a pudgy white dude with glasses approaching middle age, much like many of us in his fan base.  He speaks for our demographic!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 02:32:53 pm »

I looked up the web page of my local comics store and they actually promise "no creepy sales staff." You sure can't tell that from the street.

I expect it is still unlikely that I will take any action on this. Hey, Cort, come on, step up for the DC area Acheheads! It should be someone in the right demographic to lead the charge.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:17:11 pm »

Fuck him if he goes to Austin instead of Houston.

In other news, I would surely have my GOF book by now if not for the storm.  Oh the hardships I've endured.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 04:47:49 pm »

I looked up the web page of my local comics store and they actually promise "no creepy sales staff." You sure can't tell that from the street.

I expect it is still unlikely that I will take any action on this. Hey, Cort, come on, step up for the DC area Acheheads! It should be someone in the right demographic to lead the charge.

I would go as would my friend Brian. So assuming we can drag wombat out that's 3 people. I think that's worth a trip.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:57:33 pm »

Is The Mayor in? Bobby?

I could drag the Technical Staff along. The pugs too, if allowed.

I still don't think I'm going to ask the store, but I can see sending Onstad a list of local comics stores and a promised attendance of the 4 or 5 or 6 of us.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:02:44 pm »

How do I send him an email?

I tried mc_chris, mcchris neither worked.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 04:11:26 am »

I imagine that if he did an LA shop, he'd do Amoeba in Hollywood.

It's one of those as-much-a-toy-store-as-a-comic-book-shop kid-and-lady-friendly shops and has the floor space for fetes and galas (galii?) and so forth.

The rival comic book store in The Simpsons that was totally everyone-friendly was clearly based on Amoeba.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

saniac

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 09:08:48 am »

I can't believe you didn't link to the picture of the great man himself.  Dude steps out of his Salinger phase, least we can do is recognize it.

Also, Onstad is a pudgy white dude with glasses approaching middle age, much like many of us in his fan base.  He speaks for our demographic!

Is it just me? Does he not bear an uncanny resemblance to Ray? Look at those happy jowls and close-set eyes and tell me that's not Ray's pictorial daddy.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 12:22:40 pm »

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 01:48:42 pm »

Is it just me? Does he not bear an uncanny resemblance to Ray? Look at those happy jowls and close-set eyes and tell me that's not Ray's pictorial daddy.

Clearly he does bear a resemblance to Ray.  Onstad be monk diming.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 05:36:11 pm »

I imagine that if he did an LA shop, he'd do Amoeba in Hollywood.


I doubt it.

I'm inclined to think Golden Apple on Melrose.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 05:43:10 pm »

I dunno, Golden Apple's kinda cramped in my opinion.

Amoeba's very... modular for the larger events.

Though Golden Apple's more old-school, yeah, definitely.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 11:04:36 pm »

I dunno, Golden Apple's kinda cramped in my opinion.

Amoeba's very... modular for the larger events.

Though Golden Apple's more old-school, yeah, definitely.

Either way, if I can, I'm going.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Blog of September
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 04:11:53 pm »

So is this the correct thread to post about the tour or is it the Isotope thread?

Anyway, an acquaintance of mine went to a signing in Michigan. He said that Onstad was very friendly and drew a little something for each fan to complement his signature (which made the line go long). Alas, I can/could not go to either of the Chicago-area signings. But good reviews.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up