Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46  (Read 3441 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« on: September 16, 2008, 01:31:26 am »

It's been so long since I've posted that I can't remember whether these posts about recently deceased artists/entertainers go in this forum or in Arts & Entertainment, so I'll just follow Golfhaus's lead.

I've never read Infinite Jest, or really anything else by David Foster Wallace, but I seem to remember some fans among the group. The story mainly caught my attention because he hanged himself this past Friday, and three years ago this month (right around this time) three people close to me ended their lives, one by hanging herself. Apparently Wallace had been battling depression for quite some time.

There is an obituary on Slate (written by their TV critic, oddly) with a link to a "review" of the 2003 Maine Lobster Festival, which turns into a piece about whether boiling lobsters alive is morally right. Also, it's now the only thing I've read by Wallace.

This, by the way, isn't what prompted me to start reading the board again. I'm actually just getting caught up with Achewood and was mainly interested to see if anyone was going to the GOF convention thingy.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
David Foster Wallace (1962 - 2008)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:42:52 am »

Dude, you really shouldn't have... there's gonna be cake.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:55:47 am »

Sad.  I read half of Infinite Jest and got weary, but I enjoyed what I did read.  Obviously a great talent.  I'm always sad to lose a quality writer.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:20:36 am »

I am sorry to push aside the sad story of David Foster Wallace, who I have never read, but miles' post has my head spinning in so many unrelated directions. Three people you know killed themselves in one month? Good Lord. And, what GOF convention thingy?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 02:31:21 am »

I read IJ on Andalucia's recommendation, mainly because I like footnotes. I liked it, but I found his writing, and moreso his critics, to be somewhere between "very good" and "I don't understand it therefore it must be fantastic." I never read any of his shorter stuff just because I'm not a big fan of short stories.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 02:32:54 am »

I am sorry to push aside the sad story of David Foster Wallace, who I have never read, but miles' post has my head spinning in so many unrelated directions. Three people you know killed themselves in one month? Good Lord. And, what GOF convention thingy?

This thingy. And yes, sadly, that is true. It also happened right after my fiance broke off our engagement. I'd say it was a bad month for me but then I'd sound like an asshole, considering how shitty it turned out for those friends' families (and for those friends, of course). Anyway, especially since then, stories like this tend to catch my attention.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 02:55:00 am »

I think my friend, who loves Infinite Jest, may have tried to kill herself a few weeks ago. She told me that the reason she'd been out of contact is that she was in the psych ward at the hospital, and changed the subject when I did the usual "you can tell me about it if you want, but I understand if you don't want to..." thing.

I really really like this Lobster article.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:52:01 pm »

I read IJ on Andalucia's recommendation, mainly because I like footnotes.
That is the funniest bit of literary criticism I have heard in a long time.

"I don't understand it therefore it must be fantastic."
And that is the saddest, I have always believed that the world would be a better place if no one ever believed this about anything.

And miles, well, welcome back. Don't be a stranger.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 01:45:17 pm »

And that is the saddest, I have always believed that the world would be a better place if no one ever believed this about anything.

So true.

I've had people tell me I should read IJ for ages, kind of annoying it took the guy dying to convince me to do it, it's going to be impossible to find the damn thing in libraries for ages.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 11:03:23 pm »

I picked up Eight Interviews with Horrible Men partially because of the title, but mostly because the author and I share names.  I found it at an airport, and after reading the preface quickly realized the work was going to be more of a slog than I was interested in at the time.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 05:24:21 pm »

A friend of mine wrote a darn good short piece on the man. If anyone is interested it's here (it's weird but DFW is quite the big thing - both in an intellectual level and an emotional one, too - for a small circle of literary heads in Brazil, even though he has nothing published down here; and the biggest part of the blame/merit in that can be traced back to this selfsame friend, who started talking about DFW some 4, 5 years ago).
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is dead at 46
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:40 pm »

http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/DFW_present_tense.html

Apparently he was pretty into prescriptivism. What a shame.

What makes me glad, though, is that I was able to find the main error in his argument. Which... normally I am utterly horrific at doing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1]   Go Up