I predicted this response, and it would seem like that is the case. A lot of supposedly smart people made very bad decisions.
However, the government contributed to this in at least three ways:
1. The Community Reinvestment Act which requires banks to offer mortgages to every group of person, not just the ones who are likely to afford them.
2. The repeal of the uptick rule, which requires a stock to have upward movement before it can be sold. Hedge funds can spiral a stock into oblivion.
3. Policies that increase Moral Hazard. When the government goes out and actively participates in bailouts like it has, people come to expect it as an option. Bailing out failed companies may have more net benefits in the end, I prefer to live in a world where the governments policy isnt "You pays ya money, ya takes ya chances" when it comes to homes and jobs. Govt bailout activity, though, is addictive.
But even I can't pretend that most of the fault is on people who made very poor decisions about mortgages. People in boardrooms and people in bedrooms, alike.