Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Plant your Recession Garden  (Read 11154 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TripperDay

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 07:52:07 pm »

I fried yellow squash last night. Great stuff.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 06:59:11 am »

Squash is even better with olive oil and garlic, cut up in cubes and baked for a long time.

this
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:28 am »

man, how in the hell is there High-Fructose Corn syrup in my ICED TEA??

that is some fucked up shit. this is the day when I have HAD ENOUGH.

I noticed today that my bread has a "NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" blurb on the wrapper. I didn't know if I should feel good that mine is clean, or worried that other bread had it.

HFCS... is there nothing it can't do?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 03:56:53 am »

If the recession causes more people to plant gardens I am all in favor of more recession action.

I have a neighbor that thinks we are going to have to start eating squirrels.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 04:05:02 am »

I have a neighbor that thinks we are going to have to start eating squirrels.
I have a friend who thinks that students here will eventually have to turn the place into a farm and work part time to keep the school in business.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 07:21:35 am »

i want to start a business where I distribute/make Coke without HFCS. Will make so much cash.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 07:47:59 am »

I have had that idea many times.  Would be so easy.

Also, kombucha, do you know how easy it is to make that stuff?  And they sell it for like 3 or 4 dollars a bottle.  I could make the exact same drink, sell it for 2.50 and the actual cost of making it would be like 10 cents (these are like 12 or 16 oz bottles of sweetened tea, well that is the part that cost money).  I understand bottling and shipping will be a lot more, but still.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 12:39:58 pm »

It's been done. You can get Coke made without corn syrup in Canada and I believe also in Mexico. Also, at certain times of year, the Kosher coke does not have it.

Also, I don't know which objection to corn syrup you subscribe to but - the Coke without it tastes better.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 01:45:28 pm »

Real sugar coke from Mexico is readily available here in Houston.  It comes in old school glass bottles too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 06:15:15 pm »

Cheerwine made with real cane sugar is available in some locations.

IE, it is not available in the nice grocery stores near my house, but if I am down town and go into a gas station it'll be there.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 06:27:27 pm »

Real sugar beverages can be found where there are communities of immigrants who are used to that kind of awesome.
While I agree that it tastes better, I dont understand the hate that HFCS gets in this country. Its made from CORN. CORN, its  a plant, americans grow it, its cheap, its abundant, its not a chemical. Does the word "Fructose" trip you up, or what?

(HOLY COW, DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT IF YOU CLICK ON THE NOTEPAD THING NEXT TO YOUR POST, YOU CAN EDIT IT RIGHT HERE IN THE PAGE. SWEET BABY JESUS!)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 07:06:34 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 06:37:16 pm »

it encourages the inefficient, non-sustainable (although I hate how that word gets bandied around) factory-farm monoculture system. cheap, empty calories are what is sending our health down the toilet. the result of bizarre subsidy policies which have created a really strange food supply situation in this country.

sure it's corn, but it's corn without any of the nutrients.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 07:03:13 pm »

Oh fuck the environment. The environment does nothing but whine these days. The problem is that the stuff tastes bad.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »

That cucumber advice is basically going to change my life. Also, I've been storing my onions next to my potatoes. That chart doesn't make it clear what happens when you store them apart, but I'm keen to find out.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up