Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese Democracy is a go  (Read 14977 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2008, 10:22:34 pm »

Linked because I love this man.

I love his reviews because I can never predict whether he will love or hate something, but he always explains pretty well.

I also respect that he is much more methodical than me, and is willing to listen to everything ever recorded by a band that only put out one good album. Just so he can give every single album a 1-star review.
Also, I enjoy noticing that he calls bands I love boring, but loves things that I think are super-boring.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2008, 10:30:55 pm »

I loved GnR back in the day.  Still dig 'em now too.  They are calling themselves Velvet Revolver these days.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2008, 05:02:23 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
I love his reviews because I can never predict whether he will love or hate something, but he always explains pretty well.
\

I dunno, I kinda get the idea that this guy never allowed himself to be fourteen or fifteen.

Poor guy was nine one day, went to bed and woke up thirty-five.

I mean, seriously. When *I'M* accusing someone of over-thinking things, that person is in terrible terrible trouble.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2008, 05:06:26 am »

I do not understand where you are getting that impression, at all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2008, 05:12:16 am »

I do not understand where you are getting that impression, at all.

It's because he doesn't like Chinese Democracy. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2008, 05:14:31 am »

You know, liking something because you actually like it. Not because you think it's cool to do so, or because you're a bitter cynic with a lump of coal for a heart.

That said, I liked the review. But I can also appreciate Chinese Democracy for what it is.

It's because he doesn't like Chinese Democracy. 

Ha!

edit: okay so I read some more of his reviews, and he doesn't have an dang ol' lump of coal for a heart. I was just kind of iterating where LFM was coming from.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:06:13 am by lprkn »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2008, 08:45:24 am »

yeah, I mean. I do not get that at all from having read like... 90% of his reviews.
He just fuck*ng likes what he likes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2008, 10:48:19 am »

I'm just saying... if he doesn't get that overwrought overproduced melodramatic walls-of-sound are one of the most valid approaches to rock and roll, his heart is broken and wrapped in ice at very very best. He's rejecting the record basically for all the reasons why it is interesting/entertaining. Either be one guy on the verge of tears with an acoustic guitar in your hands or have five hundred guys playing piano and theramin behind you.

Be Elliot Smith/Neil Young/Lou Reed/John Lennon or be Axl Rose/Paul McCartney/Roger Waters/Freddie Mercury. Either is potentially awesome!

But to kind of hipster-cynically look at the overwrought theatrics of Chinese Democracy as tossed-off and insincere is to completely not get the point, is to be stuck in 1993 sitting around in flannels wondering if its that you think Rockford Files is cool or if its that you think Rockford Files is so awful that its cool, that you've been posturing so goddamned long that you just don't fuckin' know anymore.

I think Axl's being completely sincere about things that just happen to be fantasies inside the head of a deeply paranoid dude completely isolated from reality.

The heart of darkness of a man who is probably not as deep as he thinks he is.

And the whole bit about how OBVIOUSLY you could ONLY appreciate this if you were bought off to review it positively, oh crap.

What "I'm pretending to love the Brady Bunch because it's a funny idea to like the Brady Bunch" bullshit.

I find myself reading something like that and wanting to be in the final scene of "Pecker", toasting the end of irony. Lazy irony is the laziest of all lazy things.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2008, 05:44:08 pm »

Or maybe it's you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

Or maybe Chinese Democracy sucks.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2008, 06:33:36 pm »

what they said.

That man has positively reviewed enough things that I think are boring and bombastic and with too many instruments that I believe him when he says he just didn't like it.

Oh, yeah. Wait, I remember... it was almost every damn pink floyd album.
Quote
I'm just saying... if he doesn't get that overwrought overproduced melodramatic walls-of-sound are one of the most valid approaches to rock and roll, his heart is broken and wrapped in ice at very very best.

I hate this idea. I will put up with a lot of variation in music, I like a lot of different things. But this is an idea that should have died very, very fast. Some people have done it well, but most have done it because it's easy to do when you're fuck-you rich.

Also, there you go again, randomly inserting the word hipster to piss me off.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2008, 07:04:47 pm »

Dan, the same can be said for the kind of garage rock you prefer or any kind of style for that matter.  Some have done it amazingly well, most of it sucks.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2008, 07:11:50 pm »

That man has positively reviewed enough things that I think are boring and bombastic and with too many instruments that I believe him when he says he just didn't like it.

Oh, yeah. Wait, I remember... it was almost every damn pink floyd album.
I hate this idea. I will put up with a lot of variation in music, I like a lot of different things. But this is an idea that should have died very, very fast. Some people have done it well, but most have done it because it's easy to do when you're fuck-you rich.


You know what.  I like overwrought overproduced melodramatic walls-of-sound.  I was 14 when The Wall came out.  I own several ELP albums fergawdsakes.  I understand the reaction to that genre.  I also find that there ain't nobody smugger than a so-called "punk".  

Anyway.  Two things.

1.  Criticism of a specific work of art =/= criticism of a genre.  Chinese Democracy may be a lousy example of the type.  May be the greatest work of its type.  Don't know.  Haven't listened to it and don't intend to.  It's kind of like hard core Republicans with George W.  Admitting that he was the crappiest of presidents doesn't mean you are refuting your "conservative" ideals.

2.  Like what you like.  Who gives a fuck if I don't like it or some guy internet critic doesn't like it.  Fuck them.  If Axl Rose has produced something that connects with your soul, more power to the both of you.  It's always good to find something you love.  Who cares what anybody else thinks.

------ 2(a).  A corollary. Other people have this same right.  If someone doesn't like the same thing as you do, they are not a moron, a philistine or willfully ignorant.

------ 2(b). A further corollary.  People will always snipe at each other about what they like.  It's human nature.  Your favorite band sucks.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2008, 07:26:56 pm »

I mean, seriously. When *I'M* accusing someone of over-thinking things, that person is in terrible terrible trouble.

Whoa, for sure. Like, with five hundred guys playing theramin behind him.

I wouldn't recognize Axl Rose on the street if he came up to me and asked for directions to the subway, but I'm really enjoying this thread.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chinese Democracy is a go
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2008, 07:32:02 pm »

Quote from: AugustWest
Or maybe it's you.

Maybe its Maybelline?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up