Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!  (Read 21000 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2003, 10:13:28 pm »

Oh! I forgot about English Speaking Pizza.  I almost included the AOL one too.  

You are too cruel.  Would you put your favorite children in order? OK, maybe this.

1. Home for scared people
2. Cutlery
3. Antiques roadshow
4. English speaking pizza
5. Onstad's bday

But there's not enough Philippe in this list.  Maybe I need to start all over again.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobbes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
My Top-5 List
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 11:15:31 pm »

Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2003, 03:07:24 am »

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2003, 03:33:22 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"

3.  Do You Want Some Fritatta


This is one of those strips where I found the alt text to be funnier than the comic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2003, 03:37:59 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "jldunston"

3.  Do You Want Some Fritatta


This is one of those strips where I found the alt text to be funnier than the comic.


Exactly It was in my top 10 list that I was trimming down when I realized that it's the alt-text combined with the image of Ray that makes the joke. The strip in the book is less funny by a factor of 6.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2003, 03:48:52 am »

It looks like Liquor Cabinet Taste Test is pulling into the lead followed closely by Antiques Road Show, English Speaking Pizza, Worst Poker Hand Ever and Onstad's Birthday.  I haven't done any tabulating, that's just a quick glance and it looks about right.  It's way too close to call yet.  We need more votes.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2003, 04:40:29 am »

I'm glad that Worst Poker Hand Ever is getting some love.

It is maybe the BEST comic ever.

Who is responsible for slipping Philipe the crappy hand, or are they both in on it? We may never know.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2003, 11:27:09 pm »

May I encourage you all to post your five favorite Achewood strips here in this thread.  I am waiting for more input before I begin to compile.  because If I don't get more input it won't be worth the trouble.

It'll only take you a minute, you know what you like.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2003, 03:34:40 am »

ok, my top 5, in order....

5.  a dangerously good haircut
4.  x-mas punch
3.  worst poker hand ever
2.  these knives
1.  liquor cabinet taste test


with many, many honorable mentions.  too many to mention
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2003, 03:48:30 am »

1) liquor cabinet
2) worst poker hand
3) antiques roadshow
4) Lyle's pensive morning moment
5) Pat's hat

Of course, that's only right this minute, and I'm not going all the way through the archives and doing an exhaustive comparison.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

knightbg

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2003, 06:55:09 am »

long time reader of the old forum, i now register to take part in this lovely exercise.

5. Antiques Roadshow
4. What is the saddest thing?
3. Ass in your #####.
2. French Fry
1. DO YOU WANT SOME FRITATTA a.k.a. Porno

i completely disagree with the sentiment that the fritatta alt-text is better than the cartoon.  this was the strip that really sold me on how genius achewood could be: that a strip could completely devolve into a character ripping off his head and screaming a total non-sequitor, and that i would completely buy it, is i think the ultimate testament to how good onstad can be.

i also need to give an honorable mention to this strip, because the phrase "so many whales" actually became integrated into  the speech of my friends and I as a synonym for "a lot."

yup.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Five Favorite Strips - The Results are IN!
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2003, 06:36:05 pm »

Quote from: "knightbg"

i completely disagree with the sentiment that the fritatta alt-text is better than the cartoon.  this was the strip that really sold me on how genius achewood could be: that a strip could completely devolve into a character ripping off his head and screaming a total non-sequitor, and that i would completely buy it, is i think the ultimate testament to how good onstad can be.

Assuming commentary and not just list-posting is still in-topic for this thread... I have to agree. That, and it's the kind of strip that's both gleefully over-the-top and oddly accurate; I remember the first reaction of a computer-programmer friend was "oh, yeah, I've had coding hallucinations like that."

And, for that matter, it's about the clearest look we ever get at how Ray is inside Beef's head -- and let's face it, the idea of a friend who'd get so angry at you looking at porno that he'd pull his head off is scary, in a hallucinatory kind of way. The "I have needs" shot of Beef is especially pitiful.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
best
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2003, 08:52:32 pm »

My flavorites:

1. Téodor’s birthday presents
2. Todd’s license plate frame
3. Who ate my ’shrooms?
4. Philippe is standing on it
5. Guest-starring Lyle/Everybody hats

The two listed at 5 are very similar in their ideas: normal sequences inadvertently broken up by aspects of Lyle’s personality.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

Stoopd Hed

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
My five fav-o-reet
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2003, 12:46:23 am »

5. Just because soda guns in heaven just seems so right

4. He gets with the ladies but in the end they do not like him!

3. Suckin' dick bought this van

2. Killin' is like basketball..

1. Lie Bot, what is the saddest thing - because it got me hooked on Achewood
 
The topic I posted seemed very anti-Onstad, but I didn't mean to dis'spect. And come on, all of you like soda guns, you like heaven, #5 is just the natural next step. [/url]
Logged
"Evan-

What about the 2001 bill?"

-E. Rynda
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up