Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality  (Read 2678 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

skloot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« on: October 29, 2008, 06:46:01 am »

Well hello there,

I've been thinking about making an Achewood themed bicycle for quite a while. Recently I started toying around with bike mechanics, and decided that building such a vehicle would be a fun way to learn. Thusly, I am sharing my attempt at an Achewood single speed road bike.

It's an old Gitane Gypsy Sport, late around 1978 I believe, stripped, painted white and with some of my favorite images from the comic glued on. The clear coat did not seal the paper as well as I had hoped. The only thing worth mentioning on the bike are the wheels, which are Mavic CXP22 rims on Formula hubs. Practically everything else is at least 20 years old. As such, it is incredibly heavy given it's simplicity.

I was happy about the head tube "badge" of Philippe standing on it, but the clear coat made the toner run a bit and the brake cable interferes. Alas. He is also coming off - most of the paper needs more sealant of some kind, maybe acrylic matte medium - which I have used on another similar project, a bicycle covered in red paper.

Anyhow. Photos.

(I am new here and it seems they are scaled down. To see a larger version right click and View Image, I suppose?)















I will post the.... montage? on the top tube soon. It consists of some of my favorite panels.



ps
hi touamb
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

Hi,
It is always a pleasure to see this kind of effort go into a first post. Welcome.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:51:21 pm »

Yeah, we're kind of big on the newbies who put in effort around here. Props.

If the paper doesn't work out have you considered stenciling them on? It would be a lot more work for stuff like speech bubbles but phillipe and the rocket would probably work pretty well.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 01:21:25 pm »

Yes, but is it a ghost bike?  and is it illegal?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:43:08 pm »

If you are using an inkjet, I would suggest trying a laser printer. Pretty cool, though. Welcome.
Logged

skloot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 06:37:48 pm »

I did indeed use a laser printer for this. The resolution on it wasn't great, but the toner is, I think, more durable that inkjet ink. Stenciling or something like that would be way better for sure. Or maybe printing onto vinyl stickers. This project was more of an experiment than anything else, if I build another one in the future more effort will go into it. In fact, the original concept for this was to have the frame completely covered in images, a big crazy collage. Then after hours and hours and hours of stripping, sanding and painting, I got lazy and just did what you see above.

Ghost bike? It's reasonably corporeal. Though I was working on this in the down time I had after I broke my arm biking, so in a way the project is similar to the cyclist-fatality-ghost-bike-memorial thing (if that's what you're referring to).

Here's the montage you see on the down tube. I'm not totally happy with it, but it's good enough. Anyhow, it had to be printed so small to fit on the thin tube without wrapping too much that it's quite hard to read unless you are very close.

edit: To see the full size, right click on the image and hit View Image (in Firefox, that is)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:50:05 pm by skloot »
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 07:35:55 pm »

Ghost bike? It's reasonably corporeal. Though I was working on this in the down time I had after I broke my arm biking, so in a way the project is similar to the cyclist-fatality-ghost-bike-memorial thing (if that's what you're referring to).

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11192001
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

skloot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:37:36 pm »

Nooooooo, my nerd ego!  :D

Should have remembered that one when I was putting it together.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:50:21 pm »

Props on including more recent stuff.  Some of our compatriots get all hung up on being older-skool-than-thou...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 02:19:39 am »

Props on including more recent stuff.  Some of our compatriots get all hung up on being older-skool-than-thou...

Whatever noob.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 04:09:28 am »

Whatever noob.
Case in point - AW thinks the strip peaked at Phillipe's Standing On It, and its been downhill ever since.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 07:31:02 am »

I'm telling you, it's just not the same since Philippe ceased to stand on it.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 09:31:58 pm »

Well, I thought Achewood jumped the shark when it got its own domain name.

This is also an awesome idea for a bike. I like that you chose certain iconic representations than attempting to put whole strips on. That would have been silly, and Achewood offers plenty of single-panel gold.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 10:53:18 pm »

That is a serious bike.  Welcome to the board.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 01:51:47 am »

Welcome to the board.

That's kind of like getting welcomed to the Catholic Church by Jesus.

Hey Jough!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up