Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marnie Stern?  (Read 1177 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Marnie Stern?
« on: October 31, 2008, 06:08:29 pm »

There is a struggle going on in my brain.

On the one hand, I am reading interviews with this lady, and she seems so great. She talks about how she didn't know what she wanted to do until one day, she decided she wanted to make music. How she spent half a dozen hours practicing guitar every day until she could play the kind of thing she wanted to play. How her friends and family told her she was wasting her time.
And now she makes these weird, cute songs with bizarre guitar parts. She is adorable on stage, as she seems to be paying incredibly close attention to her guitar playing (and rightly so) while trying to sing as well. She seemed very nervous. These are all things that are important to me. I am really into the idea of like... people devoting tons of time to something that is maybe really weird and idiosyncratic, but it comes out the way it is in their brain. "I spent years playing the guitar in obscurity so that I could make the exact weird songs I want to make" is the story that I want to hear.

At the same time, I don't really like any of her songs (maybe one?), and I find the two-handed-tapping guitar thing incredibly boring. I think that because of its flashy looks, people assume it's really hard and complicated and awesome, when actually... its just kind of a weird way to play guitar. Plus, she is too pretty to have been as much of an outcast-loser as she claims.
Also I feel like maybe the reason people like her is that they think it's novel that a cute woman can play guitar well.

Anyway.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Marnie Stern?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:36:45 pm »

The first 10 seconds of that song have been THUNDERSTRUCK.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Marnie Stern?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 04:04:26 pm »

I haven't listened to this yet and can't from where I am right this second, but the description sounds alot like Kaki King, who is pretty good.

Kaki King has alot of amazing instrumental tracks, but I find her vocal songs a little dull.  Her vocal melodies felt a little flat while her guitar melodies were mad vivid.  Also the tapping.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Marnie Stern?
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 04:10:29 pm »

The first 10 seconds of that song have been THUNDERSTRUCK.

Ha ha.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up