Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No longer working  (Read 1763 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
No longer working
« on: November 01, 2008, 02:11:14 am »

Studs Terkel has died.

Sad, but he lived a long, productive, interesting life.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: No longer working
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:15:37 am »

I have always meant to read some of his books.

Oh well, I guess now I can buy them cheap without violating my rule against buying used books by live authors.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: No longer working
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:54:22 am »

...my rule against buying used books by live authors.

This is a good rule.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: No longer working
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 07:24:16 am »

I have always meant to read some of his books.

Oh well, I guess now I can buy them cheap without violating my rule against buying used books by live authors.

I was thinking pretty much the exact same thing today. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: No longer working
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 04:16:57 pm »

How do you feel about libraries?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: No longer working
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 05:53:38 pm »

Libraries are good things because many people can't afford to buy books. But if you are not a poor person, you should buy your books.

I pay for Onstad's subscription service, too.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: No longer working
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 06:44:07 pm »

This is a good rule.

I think it's a little bit too inflexible. The principle behind it is an excellent one but once a writer's sold a hundred and fifty million books I think it falls down the scale of importance somewhat.

But then that goes for rules like this generally and I'm sure they're just a convenient way of encapsulating the behavioural result of the principles behind them.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: No longer working
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 07:01:28 pm »

I do relax the rule for people who are massively successful - I feel no guilt about copying a Springsteen CD, for example. But you have to be careful with this, because I think people usually overestimate how much money most creative people make.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up