Because the piecemeal way he is doing this is just frustrating and confusing?
Also, you know, because we want it to be free.
I will program a napster that is just a thing where you can see subscriber-only achewood.
You don't need to program a napster. Just subscribe to it, then you have your own copy and can redistribute it as you please.
That said, the subscription fee is pretty low so I can't see people bitching about it on cost terms, even in this foul economy. I felt pretty burned with Serializer, inasmuch as I subscribed for an equally LOW LOW FEE and then he maybe updated once in fourteen years and so basically I felt like I was funnelling a LOW LOW FEE to Serializer as some sort of escrow for a future that would never come. I figure with Onstad's crazy schedule he'll eventually lose interest in subscriber only strips, just like he's lost interest in Ray's Place, the Achewood radio station, or updating the story arcs in the drop-down box on the front page. At which point a LOW LOW FEE would be a one-time payment, to see the backlog of everything Onstad did before he found other, more entertaining or lucrative interests. Once I skim that backlog I'll cancel my subscription, to avoid another Serializer situation.
Obviously a situation that would obviate this is a (Lord, I can't believe I'm saying this) micropayment system (á la Scott McCloud). Basically, rather than a recurring LOW LOW SUBSCRIPTION FEE, everything in PREMIUM CONTENT (TM) would cost a token amount, say ten to twenty five cents an item. That way, if Onstad gets distracted by his child, his apparently incontinent dachshund, his rock star travel tour or what have you, I'll have paid a fair market value for what he's provided, and not pissed away any money just waiting.