Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Election Thread  (Read 10350 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Election Thread
« on: November 04, 2008, 02:31:28 pm »

Thought it might be worth starting a thread where we could discuss the best tv event of the decade as shit happens.

Interesting fact: Your election is on the same day as as a really popular hoss race over here, the sort of thing where it's practically a public holiday, most businesses stop to watch the race and plenty don't start again due to barbecues and drinking. Just on the off chance that I can make it look portentous the winner had odds of 46 to 1 against and the favourite didn't even place.

Anyway post interesting developments as they happen if you're inclined. In the spirit of starting things off in the right mood: Attack Ads as done by Famous Directors.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 02:40:21 pm »

I was in an out of our polling place in under 30 minutes this morning (arriving at 8 AM).  Took a lot less time than I thought it would.  I bought brownies at the 6th-graders' bake sale.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 02:41:30 pm »

I took a walk with the dog and tried to take a picture of the VERY long line, but there was no way to get it all in the picture.

The Technical Staff got on line about a quarter to eight and he's still not home yet an hour later.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:53:42 pm »

I won't be able to go vote until 4 PM and I'm worried. The law is that if I am in line before 6 I get to vote, but... I get worried. I plan on bringing multiple books.
What's cool is that my polling place is less than a block from my apartment, it is in this gorgeous old church/school down the street.

I am planning on probably doing horribly on my exam tomorrow, because NO REGRETS.

I also plan on crying before I go to sleep today, one way or the other. This is just the way I am about these things.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:18:15 pm »

First time I've ever had to wait to vote in L.A. Only forty minutes but, like, still.

A dude is once again enfranchised.

If I could'a voted for big sloppy gay kisses ending every church service, I would'a but that'll have to wait a few years, I suppose.

You know what I love? Arrogantly inkdotting every single possible tax increase on the ballot.

"I rent and make 25 grand a year! Suck on that, fuckers!"

I have fun.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 05:01:57 pm »

I can see my polling place from my window. At 9 the line was really long. Probably 1.5-2 hours. Now it's so short that it's inside the building.

Since it's at a library they had carts of books set up along the line, a group of 20-somethings were offering to stand in line for you while you sat down. And of course there were people handing out coffee and doughnuts.

I got interviewed by a guy from a Berlin newspaper. At least that's what he said. The girl in front of me was being interviewed by a different reporter, and she is apparently not too thrilled about the election because she's a speechwriter for the current administration.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »

If this many people turned out every single year instead of every 4 I bet the states would invest in more equipment and polling places.

Oh, and we were given the choice between voting on a touchscreen or a scan-tron form. The SO and I both choose paper just because the line was much shorter.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:39:36 pm »

This is not what happens every four years, though. I have voted at the same place for the last few presidential elections and never seen a line like this. The turnout is much bigger this year.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:22:16 pm »

The lines I saw in 2004 were much worse than this year. But I was at a different polling place then so it's hard to compare.

Didn't Diebold change their name to Premier or somesuch to distract people?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:43:48 pm »

Did you wear sunglasses for the security card picture?

I think it is clear that Obama will win and that the dems in the house will gain some seats. What will be interesting to watch is to see if Obama gets a landslide and if the dems can get a super-majority. If McCain wins, I'd fear riots. This is not a conclusion I came up with, my black friends convinced me of it: "The media has been telling us that barack obama won this thing months ago, and this is just a foregone conclusion. You can't take away all that build up, and 'steal it' on election day without expecting a strong reaction"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 06:51:55 pm »


READ THE BOOK HERE:http://www.google.com/books?id=qLEbLIAovFkC
BUY IT HERE: http://www.amazon.com/Myth-Rational-Voter-Democracies-Policies/dp/0691129428
I know its some kind of sin to say that voting and democracy isn't working the way we all think it is, but the evidence is there. Once you move past the emotional, patriotic, and social pressures, and take a step back to look at it - the rational voter is a myth.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 07:40:49 pm »

Once you move past the emotional, patriotic, and social pressures, and take a step back to look at it - the rational voter is a myth.


Someone thought voters were rational?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:44:37 pm »

No lines at my polling place.  Walked right in, signed the sheet, got my voter pass, stepped up to the machine, placed my votes and was out of there in 5 minutes.  Even had time to take a picture or two.

I voted for...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

skloot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 07:46:18 pm »

Here in Oregon it's all mail-in. I voted three days ago, wearing a bath robe.

Although I suppose one could do that in other states as well...
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 07:57:07 pm »

Forty minutes, in to out.  I had to use a paper ballot because the system said I requested to vote early but didn't do so, but I ain't buggin.  It's Ohio - what are the chances of something going wrong?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up