Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Election Thread  (Read 10285 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 08:37:19 pm »

I like the "people are sheep except presumably the ones who buy my book, and maybe those too" imagery.

Always a mark of a classy discussion about to ensue there.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 08:46:45 pm »

I like the "people are sheep except presumably the ones who buy my book, and maybe those too" imagery.

Always a mark of a classy discussion about to ensue there.
I think what you just did there is the definition of judging a book by its cover.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:18 pm »

Did you wear sunglasses for the security card picture?
No, those are the windows into his flat, howling void of a soul. :)

It took me all of 15 minutes to vote this morning.  I spent more time fielding compliments on my newborn from the poll workers.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 10:37:45 pm »


No, those are the windows into his flat, howling void of a soul.

The sunglasses do serve a purpose:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:50:33 pm by wombat »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 11:02:41 pm »

I thought your dog was telling me to vote, in a vaguely threatening way.


Oh yeah.

I met someone recently who told me she had a pug named Killer. That's definitely what I'm calling the next one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 11:24:40 pm »

A-cap-- yeah, it is not surprising to me that voters are not rational.
See also: consumers, people.

Voting took less than 10 minutes, and only took that long because I read over everything a million times to make sure I didn't make any mistakes.

the one proposition on the ballot we were all arguing about... wasn't on our ballots, because we are 20 yards over the line into St Louis City, as opposed to St Louis County.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

Things that are not rational: Voters, Parents, Spouses, Children, Bosses, PEOPLE.

The argument is really how informed does a person have to be to have their opinion count. The answer in most western countries is not at all. It's an interesting argument and one I've put forward myself but I think it usually ends up with the person in charge deciding that no one else is informed enough to have a say except them, which is super if you're in charge but not so great if you're not.

For god sake no one teach A-Cap the word 'sheeple'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 01:08:18 am »

I saw the Post calling for Warner in VA's senate seat with 0% reporting. Granted, he never dropped below a 30% lead in the polls, but still, 0%?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 01:14:33 am »

The answer in most western countries is not at all. It's an interesting argument and one I've put forward myself...

While voting certainly serves as a method (however inefficient) for making decisions, you've also got to take into account the fact that it serves to give "the masses" an outlet to express dissatisfaction, which might otherwise be turned to violent revolution.  This has to be coupled with action occurring as a result of the vote of course - if everyone votes to throw the bastards out and the bastards stay in office, then the seeds of revolution are sown.  Oddly, this doesn't carry over much - we vote new bastards in who do the same things as the ones we just threw out and it doesn't spark revolution.  I guess as long as its new faces doing the same thing we put up with it. This is probably a source of angst for LFM ;)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 01:18:18 am »

the one proposition on the ballot we were all arguing about... wasn't on our ballots, because we are 20 yards over the line into St Louis City, as opposed to St Louis County.

If you voted in St Louis City, I hope you voted to retain my Brother-in-Law.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 02:14:59 am »

is he a judge?

I was weirded out that I was supposed to have opinions about local judges, and I decided that I didn't know enough about them to vote one way or the other.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 02:36:52 am »

I was weirded out that I was supposed to have opinions about local judges, and I decided that I didn't know enough about them to vote one way or the other.

Every year I resolve to study their records, and every year I forget.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 03:00:22 am »

And the winner is Barack Obama
with 207 electoral votes in the bag, california (55) and washington/oregon will seal the election. Please welcome our new president.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:04:43 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 03:02:08 am »

I just loved hearing on the radio such as "with 0% of precincts reporting, we're calling it for Jay Nixon."
What? I know they are rounding down, but... what?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 03:09:19 am »

I just tried to explain to Mrs. Haus why some states are called with 0% reporting, but states like VA and NC can have 70% in and still be too close to call. By the end, though, I think I understood it less than I did before I started trying to explain it.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up