rant {
I subscribe to the PPV part because, honestly, it's really really cheap. If there were more new content in the books, I'd buy them. I really don't make much money. Like, less than $10 / hr working less than 40 hours a week. But I do spend *some* money on entertainment: books, movie tickets, cable modem bill, restaurant meals with friends, live music. It seems we expect our pixels to be free because so many of them are.
It has to be majorly frustrating to be getting millions of page views a day (or hundreds of thousands or whatever) and selling a few dozen shirts and books a day. If I owned
a shop where fewer than one in a thousand people who perused the merchandise actually made a purchase, I'd probably burn the place down for insurance money no matter how well I was doing off those one in a thousand.
People have been paying for art and entertainment since ancient Athens. There are maybe 20 or 30 people in the world making an actual living off of their webcomics, so the correct way of doing so is hardly set in stone. If the new practice drives off half of the viewers who were disinclined to buy shirts and books in the first place, then honestly all Chris has done is saved himself some money on his servers.
It's kind of cruel to expect webcomics to have to make indirect money only. I don't care for themed shot glasses. I don't really cook. I don't wear T-Shirts with logos or text on them. So should the years of enjoyment I've gotten out of Achewood net its creator nothing plus some bandwidth?
And even if we do start getting a free weekly instead of a free tri-weekly, then we still have a nice free comic. Perry Bible Fellowship was slighly less than weekly before it closed shop, and it was fantastic. We aren't entitled to crap. I'm also a bit worried that this scheme could backfire, but I'm sure he has his numbers and can change course if it does.
I also believe that culture should in a sense be available for free. But more like public library free than Napster free. It should all be there to be browsed and borrowed with a bit of inconvenience. If it's going to sit on your shelf or harddrive forever, it should cost something. The 20th century saw such an incredible explosion of culture and creativity in almost every possible medium, and it was nearly always done by pros or people who aspired to be pros. DIY and amateurism are nice and cool and should be encouraged, but they aren't sufficient for our entire culture. As long as we live in a capitalist society, then art is going to need to position itself to succeed within the bounds of capitalism or it will just die.
}