I have this strange belief that artists should be able to get paid for their art, not just for consumer goods and promotional materials that surround their art.
You and me both. But now that I have thought about the last two posts...
Paul is right that newspaper comics are essentially free in just the way online comics are. You're buying the newspaper or the internet access for a variety of reasons and you'd probably do so even if comics didn't exist. And in that sense, the daily comic from either source is like an advertisement for the book of comics that they want you to buy. And Colmore is right that the difference is that newspaper comics get paid even if you don't buy the book, whereas the webcomic has to pay to put itself out there on the internet.
BUT, the way things have changed is that it's almost impossible to break in as a new syndicated comic strip anymore. What's more, I think they also don't get paid much. I don't think you can make a living on it when you are first starting out.
Now, for new artists, the advantage of the web is that the artist can start selling books and merchandise almost immediately. He doesn't have to be successful enough to convince some company that a million people will buy the lunchbox.
So... why would anyone want to be a newspaper comic strip artist these days? You're eventually going to make the real money from books and merchandise anyway. Why not get your 'advertising' out there where everyone can potentially see it, instead of just the people who read a few newspapers? Especially when you could be dead long before a significant number of papers pick up your strip.
The conclusion seems to be that getting directly paid for a comic strip isn't all it at first seems to be cracked up to be, at least not nowadays. How does this apply to other arts? It works in principle for musicians, who can give away a song at a time. And it works for certain kinds of writers - if your blog gets popular and you get a book deal, you've basically done the same thing, giving away your writing a bit at a time and then getting people to pay for a chunk of it.
In contrast, I'm doing something exactly like the newspaper comic artist - getting paid by the piece for small chunks of writing, and hoping it leads to a deal where I can sell a big chunk of it. It's not working out like it's cracked up to, so far.
Damn, I think I finally understand the 21st century economy for creative work and I don't know what to do about it. I'm in too deep old-style.