Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gin and...  (Read 6189 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Gin and...
« on: November 16, 2008, 08:01:38 am »

How unusual is it to request a gin? A gin, that's all. A shot of gin. I was at a show tonight, and got an "invite" to the "after party" and we could have like three free beers. Anyway, after my third, I needed another drink so I ordered a gin. A shot of gin. Girl looked at me like I ordered a shot of Everclear.

"May I have a gin please, just a shot?"

"Gin? Are you sure?"

"Yes, please."

"What kind?"

"Uhh, Tanqueray?"

[Raises eyebrows] ... "OK, one sec."

Maybe there is something I don't know.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 08:19:08 am »

a lot of people seem to think gin is horrible, and yet will drink whiskey and bourbon and things that taste like poison.

people are all drinking whiskey and being like, "daniel, it is so intense that you drink gin, it is so strong." it is strange.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 08:27:40 am »

I dunno, I think that of all the liquors, gin is just generally thought of as a mixer first and a liquour second.

(Probably because it tastes like someone set one of those tree air-freshners on fire and threw the ashes into the cheapest vodka legally available in Armenia.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:06:25 am »

Gin has a weirdly mixed reputation. While the cocktail culture of the Prohibition and post-Prohibition eras have rendered the gin cocktail among the classiest of men's drinks, gin in its uncocktailed form largely retains an image that dates at least to the eighteenth century of the drunken laborer and his wife's slow-fading bruises.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 10:50:58 am »

One time my roommate drank a handle of gin in a night (he didn't have any mixers), and, yeah, gin straight is silly.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 02:31:37 pm »

gin in its uncocktailed form largely retains an image that dates at least to the eighteenth century of the drunken laborer and his wife's slow-fading bruises.

I am not sure I believe that the average 20something bartender has a thought like this in his or her head, but I would sure like to believe it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:22:24 pm »

Personally I feel that the deliciousness of gin is brought out nicely by tonic, whereas the deliciousness of, say, whisky is spoiled by mixers. Rum sits nicely in the middle. Good ol' flexible rum.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 06:03:03 pm »

Why didnt you just order a martini?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:20 pm »

Because he didn't want a a martini--he wanted a fuck*ng gin!
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 11:50:13 pm »

Because he didn't want a a martini--he wanted a fuck*ng gin!

Thank you, sir. I really just wanted a shot of something. Normally Jameson would do, but I wasn't feeling it. I just didn't think it was that unusual.

Gin has a weirdly mixed reputation. While the cocktail culture of the Prohibition and post-Prohibition eras have rendered the gin cocktail among the classiest of men's drinks, gin in its uncocktailed form largely retains an image that dates at least to the eighteenth century of the drunken laborer and his wife's slow-fading bruises.

Yeah, usually when I've had it straight, it's been straight from the bottle.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 11:55:26 pm »

Yeah, usually when I've had it straight, it's been straight from the bottle.

Uh, yeah.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:05:23 am »

Because he didn't want a a martini--he wanted a fuck*ng gin!

I totally respect this.  When I tended bar, I couldn't stand people who ordered a martini, then said something dumb like "just show the vermouth bottle to the glass."  If you don't want any fuckin' vermouth in it, order gin straight up, dumb-ass.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:26:50 am »

I totally respect this.  When I tended bar, I couldn't stand people who ordered a martini, then said something dumb like "just show the vermouth bottle to the glass."  If you don't want any fuckin' vermouth in it, order gin straight up, dumb-ass.

Vindication from a former bartender! Thanks man.

Personally I feel that the deliciousness of gin is brought out nicely by tonic, whereas the deliciousness of, say, whisky is spoiled by mixers. Rum sits nicely in the middle. Good ol' flexible rum.

For the record, I love a gin and tonic. And I think you're quite right about the others, too.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 06:38:42 am »

Gin: Because drinking isn't supposed to be fun, goddamnit.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Gin and...
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 06:58:05 am »

three parts gordon's
one part vodka
half a part lillet
twist
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up