Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the Meatrix?  (Read 5200 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
What is the Meatrix?
« on: November 14, 2003, 12:33:41 am »

Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 12:45:37 am »

One of my friends sent this one to me...

It sort of makes me cringe, since it reminds me of how when I started being a vegetarian, I was in the Peta Kids demographic, and this puts me in mind of some of their propaganda.  

They still mail me stuff like once a month.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 03:32:39 am »

Man, those animals look delicious.

Wah wah wah.  Animals suffer.  People suffer.  All life is suffering.

Now excuse me while I go eat a veal cutlet in cream sauce (it's even tastier if they use the milk from the mother of the little baby cow, as the genetics match up to a delightful pairing of flavours).

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 04:19:48 am »

I was picking out portions of Moopheus that would look tasty on my new grill. Larry giraffeburne, however, looks a little meatier in Revolutions than does his bovine Meatrix counterpart.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 04:46:59 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Now excuse me while I go eat a veal cutlet in cream sauce (it's even tastier if they use the milk from the mother of the little baby cow, as the genetics match up to a delightful pairing of flavours).

Dammit, Jough, now I'm hungry!

Incidentally, it occurs to me: do insects, crustaceans, and other Chitinous Invertebrates of Various Sorts count as "animals" for vegetarianism? I assumed they do, but given as you can argue that the least cruel thing you can do to a shrimp is to kill and eat it...
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 04:50:53 am »

I don't know if they count for vegetarians, but they definitely do for Sky-Clad Jains.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 05:24:20 am »

One of these days, Jough, you'll astound us all by coming out all weeping and sensitive over some cause or opressed minority or unjustly eaten species.

I guess today is not the day.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 06:06:30 am »

That last post worked nicely with your sig.
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 01:39:37 pm »

I saw this the other day, and it just grossed me out.  

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do try to cook meatless meals a few times a week to reduce our total familiy meat intake, and I try to buy local, organic and/or free-range products whenever possible.  Of course, my husband has been cooking for me the last week or so because I have a monster research paper due in 2 weeks, so we'll been eating a lot of frozen pizzas, hot dogs, and beefy mac until that's done.  But when I stop working on December 19th, (yay!!) we'll go back to our regular schedule of good, wholesome, square-meal cookin'.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 01:56:59 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Dammit, Jough, now I'm hungry!

Incidentally, it occurs to me: do insects, crustaceans, and other Chitinous Invertebrates of Various Sorts count as "animals" for vegetarianism? I assumed they do, but given as you can argue that the least cruel thing you can do to a shrimp is to kill and eat it...


Anything that can express feelings of pain is an "animal" I gather. Once we develope lettuce that winces they'll be really screwed.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 05:16:40 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Of course, my husband has been cooking for me the last week or so because I have a monster research paper due in 2 weeks, so we'll been eating a lot of frozen pizzas, hot dogs, and beefy mac until that's done.


Thought we'd been hearing less from the you more recently. Good luck with it!
And it's shocking that he doesn't cook. I can't imagine not cooking. I guess it's mainly because of my fear of pre-made meals. All that reformed meat and shit. If something doesn't taste really good I just don't trust it...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 06:18:43 pm »

Yeah, he doesn't really know how to cook at all.  However, if I give him a recipe he can follow it pretty well.  He makes some hella good spaghetti and last week he made a beef roast and mashed potatoes that were perfect.  He's a very precise cook -- he'd be good at baking. I guess it comes from reading lines of code 8 hours a day every day.   As for me, I don't like to measure -- I just add ingredients 'til it "feels right," usually with some success I might add...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 07:31:40 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
He's a very precise cook -- he'd be good at baking. I guess it comes from reading lines of code 8 hours a day every day.   As for me, I don't like to measure -- I just add ingredients 'til it "feels right," usually with some success I might add...


I do both. Some recipes I will follow very precisely. Most of the time I just go wild. Which usually works. Unless I'm cooking for someone, when it doesn't.
I think it gives me escapism from the formal realm of code. Although my structuring has been known to get a little chaotic.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2003, 05:58:57 am »

If the destruction of the family hog farm is troubles PETA so much, wouldn't making responsible meat purchases be a better option than vegetarianism?

I LOVE meat.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
What is the Meatrix?
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2003, 02:00:51 pm »

What does PETA have to do with it?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up