Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drobo  (Read 2029 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Drobo
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:46:25 am »

Is this a good thing?

http://www.drobo.com/index.html
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Drobo
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 04:50:30 am »

Seems like a good time, though a little pricey.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Drobo
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:26:38 am »

Sounds like a villain's minion in an MST3K movie.

"Go, Drobo... KILL, DROBO, KILL! So says... Doctor Loboto!"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Drobo
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 02:05:14 pm »

Wired has written about the Drobo several times and they seem to like it other than the price. He's a sample review: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/05/hello-nasty-hps.html
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Drobo
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:36:27 pm »

How is this not just a box that you put external hard drives in?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Drobo
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 11:56:43 pm »

How is this not just a box that you put external hard drives in?

If I'm not confusing it with another product: it moves the data around on the fly so you don't have to worry about RAID settings or anything. So if you have 2 drives in there and add a 3rd it will automatically rearrange things in into the safest pattern. You can apparently swap drives whenever you want and it takes care of adjusting for their various sizes and whatnot.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up