Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer  (Read 3699 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11262008

A pretty good strip, almost worth the wait. It is good to see that this new girl is starting to get a fleshed out character and isn't just a throwaway.

The alt-text does remind me of a favorite joke:

A young man is walking through a small village one day and decides to stop by a bar and have a beer. He walks into a bar, and sees a grizzled old man, crying into his beer. Curious, the young man sits down and says, “Hey old timer, why the long face?”

The old man looks at him and points out the window, “See that dock out there? I built that dock with my own two hands, plank by plank, nail by nail, but do they call me Simon the dockbuilder? No, no."

The old man continued, “And see that ship out there? I’ve been giraffeing these waters for my village for 35 years! but do they call me Simon the giraffeerman? No, no. ”

The old man continued, “And see all the crops in the farms out there? I planted and have been farming those crops for my village for nearly 45 years! but do they call me Simon the farmer? No, no. ”

The old man starts to cry again, “But you fuck one goat…”
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

You know that thing where you learn a new word and suddenly it's everywhere? I just finished a conversation which included someone explaining to me what sous vide is. And then the first thing I did when I got off the phone was read this strip. Weird.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

If only she'd been able to predict his tendency to cut himself on sour creme lids it would have been perfect.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

I liked this one.

I think everyone has been guilty of "i will get with her when my buddy (dies/breaks up with her)"

I do this a lot lately about a certain female, and at this point I basically refuse to feel bad about it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile

When I was eight years old, I wanted that exact same shoe buffer from Hammacher Schlemmer. Today is the first time I have seen one since then, and I now realize that I have never had any shoes that needed buffing, especially not when I was eight. By now I've turned into the kind of person where I would buff my shoes by hand anyway. If I wore those kind of shoes.

Speaking of which, the other day I saw Batman cufflinks, and I said to my dad, "If only I owned a shirt that needed cufflinks."
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com

Speaking of which, the other day I saw Batman cufflinks, and I said to my dad, "If only I owned a shirt that needed cufflinks."

I had this exact same conversation with Mrs. Haus today, only it was concerning these.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely

I really don't understand why anyone would own cufflinks that were not novelty cufflinks.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

I really don't understand why anyone would own cufflinks that were not novelty cufflinks.

A friend of a friend only wears french cuff shirts with cufflinks that match his tie. He also wears socks that are the same color as his shirt.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

You know, if I heard that someone set up a camera in the bathroom, I wouldn't even think that he was actually into the peein' and the poopin' sexually.

I would just assume that this was the most logical place for genitals to be exposed by people who do not live there.

I guess I'm naive, I suppose.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile

Long time since I last laughed so hard about Achewood. The isolated shoe buffer, conspicuously plugged to the wall, "she is making me Happen to myself", "tomorrow's morning fantasies"... Ray swings it hard.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

my roommate told me recently that he always wanted one of those as a kid.
I feel like maybe I am imagining this, but I had not heard of this concept until recently, when he told me about it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile

OH MY GOD I JUST NOTICED: MOLLY AND POLLY; WHAT THE HELL? Is this a thing?
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com

I came to that realization a few days ago, Toaster. Heavy drinking helps.

Vegas odds on the next semi-regular Achewood female being named Dolly are currently running at 5-2.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile

Or Holly.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Yeah, since Cholly is already dead and hanging out with Molly's family.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up