Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help scanning  (Read 3007 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Help scanning
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:53:18 pm »

At my parents house I came across my old photo album. So I decided to scan in some pictures, which I've never actually done before. And they look like shit. Really, really grainy. Now I know a bunch of these were taken with disposable cameras, but I can't believe how bad the scans are. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Help scanning
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 05:14:33 pm »

Scanners vary wildly in their quality of scan.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Help scanning
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:47:48 pm »

Are you using the highest quality setting -- I guess the most dots per inch?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Help scanning
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 12:40:27 am »

Scanners vary wildly in their quality of scan.

I think this is the issue. I'm using an HP all-in-one. Increasing the DPI just seems to make it worse, not better. I think the kiosks might be my best bet. I've used them in the past and never had grain issues. I know there are places that will scan the negatives and give you back super-good images, but that seems overkill considering I'm probably just going to stick them on Facebook.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Help scanning
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:32:29 am »

But I know, dude. Walgreens.

I liked their "Welcome to Perfect" ad campaign from a while back, but never enough to, you know, actually go to their store.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Help scanning
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 02:38:01 am »

I've used Walgreens.  They don't suck.  Well sometimes you have to point out to the drones which is their ass and which is the hole in the ground, but you know that's pretty much anywhere these days.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Help scanning
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:40:06 pm »

Another option is to scan at the highest resolution/dpi possible so you get some huge 4000x3000 file, correct scratches/devil eyes at that resolution, then shrink it down to something more manageable.  The shrinking process hides flaws really well.  I did this with some rolls where I'd used 400 speed in situations where 400 was the absolute worst speed possible, and got them to look decent.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Help scanning
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 10:30:32 pm »

Here's a sample pic to show how bad it is:

http://www.cortjstr.com/images/scanned_pic.jpg
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Help scanning
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 11:25:38 pm »

See I can't help you, but that picture is so sweet.  A moment past, never to be re-lived.  Awe.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Help scanning
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 04:46:38 am »

Cute Kids.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up