Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3rd Wave  (Read 4552 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 04:08:09 pm »

Man, wombat is so lame that her member number is 50.

Burn!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 05:59:32 pm »

I guess the Dumbrella-ites are the true original wave, but I wasn't really thinking about that.  I was on the Dumbrella board, but not for long.  I lurked for a little while, maybe a week or so and had made maybe 10-20 post when Onstad pulled the plug.  So about a month I am guessing.

Ben, I don't know where you fall in.  You're like Ringo I guess.  You joined the band when we were recording our first record. Hmm, not sure I like that analogy.  That would make Dumbrella the salad days, the Hamburg years as it were, and now...  were doing a career retrospective.  What's next. someone gonna write a TOUAMB tell all memoir?

I know, lets get the original group back together for a reunion tour.  Someone get Slink and Vadore on the phone.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 06:45:51 pm »

I've always liked how this place is basically a celebration of the strip while being very realistic about the creator of said strip.

Too much conflation of artist and art in internet fandom. Becomes strangely political, strangely ideological. To call the creator(s) out for being weird or not always pleasant or inconsistent or whatever is treated like the dereliction of some point, a rejection of some basic tenet of the community and... that's entirely unhealthy.

I love a lot of Lou Reed's music but I'm fairly certain that he'd be a tremendous asshole to know socially and that's okay.

Maybe its just that as the internet message board subculture evolves, we're evolving more toward places like this?

Or maybe it's just that as the people who were getting on the internet in the middle nineties as teenagers and early twenty somethings shift to true adulthood and even start getting dragged toward early middle age, the more complicated attitudes of that age are simply reflected?

Probably more the second than the first.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 06:55:40 pm »

Dunno, LFM, a lot of us here on this board were already past being teenagers and early twentysomethings in the middle nineties. I think you may exaggerate how much the entire internet reflects your own personal development?

As the official keeper of the Missing Onstad Locking Down Threads flame, it is my responsibility to our collective history to remind  the whippersnappers that a big part of the inspiration for this board was that CO always cut us off whenever the thread wandered off the topic of of the strip under discussion. This is why the wandering thread topic is a special point of pride. Just having all those forums on other subjects on the board was an act of collective rebellion.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 10:40:22 pm »

I dunno... I have looked back at some old posts on this board, and there are a lot where they got LOK'D right when they were getting interesting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 02:47:28 am »

Day 1 old school, you newb pukes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 03:00:26 am »

I joined four years ago next week, which seems like a long time. Makes sense though, 2004 was my second year of uni where I spent all the time an energy I could being distracted by things on the internet rather than studying.
I remember when Bozack posted regularly but I never saw Bea post until she started coming back sporadically. For that matter I never saw JL post for ages after I joined. I remember misterqueue joining and wishing I'd put that much effort into being a newb because he pulled it off really well. I also remember initially getting inev and A-CAP confused a lot. Which seems odd now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 04:36:07 am »

TO DRIFT AWAY
FROM TALK OF RAY
THIS THREAD IS LOCKED
IS HOW THAT'S PLAYED

**LOCK'D** **BURMA SHAV'D**

FTFY
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 09:11:07 am »

I lurked before I joined, and kept lurking before I posted.  I do that with unfamiliar people, so I know where to go with conversation.

It doesn't work so well with parties, though.  Everyone's gone before I figure them out.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 09:21:40 am »

Maybe that is why parties are funner for me from like 2-4am.  I always thought it was cause the riff raff went home.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 09:35:07 am »

oh by the way i think i saw bozack on metafilter a couple months back. i'd have said something then but there wasn't really cause, and besides i'm not sure it was quite the right username. It resembled his original, though.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 11:46:18 am »

Maybe that is why parties are funner for me from like 2-4am.  I always thought it was cause the riff raff went home.

This is my experience also. I kind of figured it was that the people who stick it out by then are fairly easy going or drunk/stoned enough to appear that way. Just one of those things.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 12:06:40 pm »

Oh yeah, for sure what I was saying, though the becoming more familiar with the norms of the place help to.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 3rd Wave
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 03:33:56 pm »

I'm talking about us, TOUAMB.  I think we're on about our third wave of regulars in here.  There's a few of us originals still around, but not many.  A lot of the second wave has gone away too.  There's no point to this post really, just reminiscing.  How many original day one board members are still here posting as regulars?

Signify here.  Everyone else, when did you join the fun?

I think I get unique distinction in that, after Dumbrella shut down, I didn't know about this board, and it was actually Onstad who told me about it on AIM.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up