Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Page has Turned  (Read 2459 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
A Page has Turned
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:02:14 am »

Bettie Page has passed away.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:51:44 am »

Someone told me yesterday that she was still alive and I was surprised. Guess I win that argument? I'm going to go look up some kinky porn in her memory.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:07:09 pm »

Wait, what?  Who is this?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:17:32 pm »

I have a Bettie Page pill case in my man-purse. I, too, thought she was already dead.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 04:33:34 pm »

The only poor thing to be said of Ms. Page was something that really wasn't her fault.

She inspired generations of women to wear completely ugly bangs that made them look like butchered Barbie dolls.

It looked good on her, it looks good on a very small subset of women who are good-looking but have long foreheads...

And on everybody else. Yeah. Yeah.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 04:43:05 pm »

Really?  You think Bettie Page is responsible for women wearing bangs?  Maybe the small subset of women who are into Bettie Page, but until recent times most people have never heard of her.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 04:58:47 pm »

I never heard of her till this very moment. Reading the link, it seems like most of the people who knew who she was might have been, like, male?

I agree though that most people should not wear bangs.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 05:04:07 pm »

I never heard of her till this very moment. Reading the link, it seems like most of the people who knew who she was might have been, like, male?

I agree though that most people should not wear bangs.

Really? Wow. The SO and I agreed that when we finally move to a building that allows pets we'd name our cats Bettie and Page.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

Those particular kinds of bangs? I certainly think he's the archetypal image of them, yes.

I certainly think that to people within a half-deviation of "my generation" whatever the hell that means, she is the lasting image of that kind of terrible haircut.

I certainly think that gothy girls look at pictures of her getting spanked by weirdos, see that she is hot and confuse it for her haircut being hot.

I believe these things, yes. Certainly not the originator but definitely the one who bore that water for the last few decades.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 05:57:47 pm »

Ya see, I could never place Uma Thurman as being very hot.  She's just too damn skinny.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 07:43:59 pm »

LFM is right that she is the originator of vaguely punky/gothy girls thinking that bangs are hot. I know several of those types who are just ALL about her in a way that is really weird and inexplicable.

I am normally not so into the bangs, but when they are good they are good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 01:13:50 am »

...and when they are bad, they are horrid.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A Page has Turned
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 01:50:13 am »

You guys are talking about Bettie Page's hairstyle?  Really?

Fags.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up