Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MisterQueue AWOL Again  (Read 5794 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
MisterQueue AWOL Again
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:45:07 pm »

Misterqueue has been very active on Flickr lately.  Two days ago he decided to take a break.

Very interesting.  Any speculation on how long he'll be gone or if he'll return at all?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 06:08:54 pm »

He lives very close to me, and I always imagine I will see him.

I never do, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:49:41 pm »

I will say that it's pretty common to drop the internet like that loser 'friend' that's barely good enough for company in boring times as soon as something better comes along.


Most people don't seem to feel the need to announce it, though.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 08:28:07 pm »

I totally plan on dropping the internet when something better comes along.

HA!

HAHA!

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(the sound of LOLing fades into the distance)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:35:34 pm »

Misterqueue has been very active on Flickr lately.  Two days ago he decided to take a break.

Very interesting.  Any speculation on how long he'll be gone or if he'll return at all?

I mean this not in a confrontational way but more in the spirit of inquiry: why do you, and so many people, here, care? He was a dude that posted on a board. Then he stopped. What's the appeal?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 01:00:52 am »

We care because he disappeared dramatically. That is the whole point of disappearing dramatically.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:04:25 am »

I mean this not in a confrontational way but more in the spirit of inquiry: why do you, and so many people, here, care? He was a dude that posted on a board. Then he stopped. What's the appeal?


I care for the same reason I'd care if you completely quit posting.  Q is a clever, interesting guy.  His participation on the board made it a funn(i)er place.  Folks like that are pretty rare.

But hey, we've all got our demons.  Dude's entitled to behave as he sees fit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:59:39 am »

Wombles and A-West are both right but I'm going with Wombles today. i.e. we are chumps who are happy being played because we have nothing better to talk about. See also: Inev's post re bitter laughter/tears.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:10:22 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 02:13:03 pm »

I concur with AW's explanation.  You know when you're extremely bored at work, and you say "Let's see what's up on TOUAMB," and then you go and there's no new posts and you're all disappointed?  That happened less often when Mr. Q was active.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 02:42:42 pm »

The sad truth is I don't really remember what he actually wrote. I only remember the incredible welling up of emotion of faux-emotion born of boredom surrounding his absences. Similar to that guy with the sad batman avatar. He is more famous for his absence than his contributions.

I've been retraining the ***** that once was #####***** and in doing so feeding the old #touamb logs; looking through them, I can't even say that anything he said there was particularly memorable (though it was sometimes amusing).
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 03:58:23 pm »

Well, on a day to day basis, don't knock amusing, you know? Carlos is right, there is less to read here than there once was, and I would be happy to have someone as prolific and generally entertaining as Q around here these days. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 04:44:51 pm »

I guess I never really got the presumed distance of the internet.  I consider online relationships to be as real as any other.

I care about Misterqueue because I like him and I miss that he's not around anymore.

I gotta wonder why anyone would be here if they don't care.  It seems pointless to me to spend so much time hanging out with people you don't give a shit about.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 08:46:23 pm »

I guess I never really got the presumed distance of the internet.  I consider online relationships to be as real as any other.

I care about Misterqueue because I like him and I miss that he's not around anymore.

I gotta wonder why anyone would be here if they don't care.  It seems pointless to me to spend so much time hanging out with people you don't give a shit about.


Total time logged in: 5 days, 10 hours and 53 minutes.

Since this site moved over from dumbrella, what, in 2005? Not a lot of time in total. Probably most of it includes cookie timeouts too.

Internet relationships are not predicated on the same time urgency as face to face relationships in the 20th and 21st century. It can be, and often is, hit and run.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 04:09:10 pm »

Misterqueue is a guy who many of us had honest to god human contact with in spite of the sometimes isolating effect if the internet.  I have a friendship with him that extends to many places beyond this board, which has been rich, fun and full of shared humour and sensitivity.  I think it's totally reasonable to take breaks from communities and move from community to community, and maybe his manner of announcing his exit assuages the kind of guilt I tend to feel when I neglect a group of friends and acquaintances for too long.  Maybe it bothers people that he doesn't treat internet contacts as the anonymous thing that they can sometimes be.  To me he's just being courteous in his way.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:12:00 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MisterQueue AWOL Again
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 04:48:18 pm »

I guess when I leave places, I leave as quietly as I can, through the backdoor and disappear... or at least I try to.

It's the one situation where I guess I try to compensate for the fact that I am too too gratingly noticable and large and loud and opinionated in every other way.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up