Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Throws a Shoe?  (Read 11972 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Who Throws a Shoe?
« on: December 18, 2008, 07:37:42 pm »

Honestly

I'm no fan of George Bush as anyone who post on this board knows, but I gotta say the boy showed some sweet moves dodging that shoe.  Catlike reflexes.  Hell, it might have been his finest act as president.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:32 pm »

I throw shoes all the time- my favorite form of grafiti it is.

You ever throw a roller blade on to a power line?  Fun as shit.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 07:48:45 pm »

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:10:20 pm »

Only time I saw Nine Inch Nails, the concert was called off two-thirds of the way in.

Someone threw a steel-toed boot from the moshpit, knocked the drummer out fuck*ng cold.

There is something about rock concerts in Albany that is disasterous.

Los Angeles and Syracuse, the two other areas where I've seen enough concerts to have a sense of things, are both pretty orderly situations.

But there's something about those Albanians.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 08:13:43 pm »

"Heh heh, I know kung fu."
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:18:20 pm »

Hell, it might have been his finest act as president.

Without a doubt. I almost like the guy now.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:45:36 am »

Shoes have an interesting place in the Muslim world. We're all wishing he'd flipped him the bird afterwards; as far as they're concerned, that's exactly what he did.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 02:21:34 am »

So why do shoes mean that? Surely there must be a story behind this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:28:51 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 02:29:52 am »

Well, I was told that to point the soles of your feet at anyone is to effectively say "you are beneath me, I am your master, etc."

Wikipedia is only slightly helpful here, mostly focusing on the recent event.

Edited to fix linkage.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:33:08 am by lprkn »
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 02:35:21 am »

I thought it was more like "here is the thing that I would use to walk through shit, I am basically shaming you by showing you shit".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 02:38:00 am »

You are supposed to take off your shoes when entering a mosque as well, which makes perfect sense to me. I don't pretend to understand a lot about any organized religion, especially Islam, but anything that suggests taking off your shoes is aight by this guy.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 02:43:46 am »

Sock and Awe

God, I love the internet.

I guess if shoes are too dirty to take into a mosque, that is at least some kind of generalization. Although I have never heard of a shoe-throwing tradition in Japan, where they even take their shoes off to go into their own houses.

Seems like an awesome commitment to have to walk home without shoes, afterwards.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 02:49:34 am »

I like the Three Stooges version: http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/12/bush-shoe-toss.html

Yes!  The best part is the other shmo standing next to Bush.  His confused expression fits perfectly.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Who Throws a Shoe?
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 04:34:47 am »

LFM and leppy are pretty much exactly right.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up