Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted  (Read 4601 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:09:02 pm »

That is the title of my 2008 year-end mix CD, which you can (and should) download MP3s of here:

ftp.bigfool.com
user name:  bigfoo_guest
password:  roxorz

Previous years' entries still out there.

Liner notes and cover art to come.  Track listing, because Cort will ask for it:
01 The National - Mistaken For Strangers.mp3
02 The Heavenly States - Lost in the Light.mp3
03 Passion Pit - Sleepyhead.mp3
04 Q-Tip - Gettin Up.mp3
05 They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm.mp3
06 TMBG - Triops Has Three Eyes.mp3
07 Minus The Bear - Knights.mp3
08 The Bell - I Am History.mp3
09 Clearlake - No Kind of Life.mp3
10 Amusement Parks On Fire - Venus In Cancer.mp3
11 Broken Social Scene Presents Brendan Canning - Churches Under The Stairs.mp3
12 British Sea Power - Waving Flags.mp3
13 The Stills - Gender Bombs.mp3
14 The Black Keys - Stack Shot Billy.mp3
15 Kings of Leon - Black Thumbnail.mp3
16 The Gaslight Anthem - the 59 Sound.mp3
17 The Twilight Sad - Mapped By What Surrounded Them.mp3
18 Jose Gonzalez - Teardrop.mp3
19 The Avett Brothers - The Weight of Lies.mp3
20 The Avett Brothers - Salvation Song.mp3
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:09:48 pm »

Will download later tonight.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:57:40 pm »

Anything that leads with a national track has got to be good!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:26:13 am »

Just skimming the titles, this is the first of your mixes where I didn't already have at least one track.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 01:43:07 am »

Thanks, Mayor!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 01:56:59 am »

Downloaded, will burn to disc and listen in the car. Haven't heard very much from any of the groups you listed, except TMBG and the Avett Brothers (I'm seeing them the night before New Year's! Yayy! They are from my hometown!)

Can this be the place I do what I've been wanting to do, and post my year-end radio show? I think it can. Right?

Best songs/artists of 2008 (except maybe there would be some repeat artists, and a few things I edited out for time):

Sorry that some of these are hella overplayed/overhyped, but they are what I liked.

Vampire Weekend-- Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
Thao Nguyen and the Get Down Stay Down-- Swimming Pools
Vivian Girls-- Tell the World
The Muslims-- Grinding Halt (cure cover) (cannot find their version, imagine the original but kind of...different. modern?)
(the muslim's really great original is "Extinction")
White Denim-- Let's Talk About It
She & Him-- I was made for you
Pattern is Movement-- Trolley Friend--- For some reason I cannot find this mp3 anywhere. Will keep looking.
The Acorn-- Flood pt 1
Bon Iver-- Skinny Love
Chad VanGaalen-- Willow Tree
Women-- Black Rice
French Miami-- Goddamn Best
No Age-- Teen Creeps

or the whole radio show, um... PM me your email if you want me to send it to you with "yousendit"

I am sorry that maybe everything on this list fits into one of two categories. And both of them involve "you know, like those bands dan likes from the 80s and 90s."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 02:20:52 am »

I could go a copy of that Inev, you've got my e-mail I think?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 02:32:10 am »

ok-- I am on a limit for how many files I can send with my free account, so I will wait a day or so in case any other brave souls want to hear an hour of my charming voice talking about how Zooey Deschanel is SO PRETTY and SO TALENTED, and No Age rock SO HARD etc.

At one point, also, I started singing along off-key and didn't realize the mic was still on for a few seconds.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 03:30:09 am »

Daniel loves every She.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 03:49:04 am »

talking about how Zooey Deschanel is SO PRETTY and SO TALENTED, and No Age rock SO HARD etc.

I've never agreed with anyone more, on both points. Well, at least that No Age rock and that Zooey's pretty. Wasn't crazy about her record.

Vampire Weekend is one of those bands that I avoided for so long and then picked it up like 3 weeks ago, and you know, it's not bad.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 04:09:45 am »

Wow, you guys have like, taste and stuff. If I put up a mix it'd just be a lot of variations of metal and a bunch of stuff that didn't even come out this year.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 04:14:56 am »

Yeah, somehow I think that if I was going to put together a mix tape for this year with songs from Coldplay and GNR and Byrne/Eno on it, I would basically guarantee that every person would hate at least one of those three tracks. Oh God, throw in Ben Folds, you know. There would be no thematic to it, no style, no unification, just a bunch of things that I like that vaguely fall under the banner of "rock".

I would be bad at this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 04:24:21 am »

There is no right or wrong to a mix tape/CD.  Just put what YOU want on it.  If other's don't like it, tough shit for them.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 05:19:47 am »

Well, yes and no.

While you want it to be all stuff you like, you do sort of want the metaphorical rug to tie the metaphorical room together. Metaphorically.

I would probably do great mix-things, if I understood how to technically these days with the mp3s and the ftps and the FBI and the CIA and the BBC BB King and Doris Day, under certain situations don't get me wrong... I basically organize a short-hand "soundtrack" for any long form writing I work on and could do a killer "Last Songs" mix-disc of the last songs on the last legitimate records of bands/performers/iterations-of-bands... "the songs of a year" I would just have trouble finding the rug to piece it together.

...metaphorically.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 05:36:54 am »

with the mp3s and the ftps and the FBI and the CIA and the BBC BB King and Doris Day

Heh, I dig it.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up