Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted  (Read 4585 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 08:37:42 am »

Yeah, somehow I think that if I was going to put together a mix tape for this year with songs from Coldplay and GNR and Byrne/Eno on it, I would basically guarantee that every person would hate at least one of those three tracks. Oh God, throw in Ben Folds, you know. There would be no thematic to it, no style, no unification, just a bunch of things that I like that vaguely fall under the banner of "rock".

I would be bad at this.

Any list I made right now would have 96 Tears as at least every other song.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 01:31:07 pm »

Any list I made right now would have 96 Tears as at least every other song.

My wife won't trust any CD I make for her right now, as she is positive I will sneak "Surfin' Bird" onto it somewhere.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 01:54:34 pm »

Haha, I listened to the Cramps version of that tonight.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 03:45:10 pm »

I spoke too soon, I didn't notice the song from The Else at first.

Vampire Weekend and She & Him both fall into the broad category of bands I've only heard of because they were eMusic's free daily download. I did end up getting the full album for both of them, though.

I just remembered that I already have some songs uploaded from this summer that I never shared here. If I was at home I'd swap out the MC Frontalot song (which was an in-joke at the time. It's not his best song) for Count It Off (feat. The Muscle Shoals Horns) by The Saturday Knights.

For some reason I'm all about The Saturday Knights lately. Has anybody else even heard of them?

http://www.cortjstr.com/partay/
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 08:17:46 pm »

man, this Slate year-end music thing is really bumming me out. They seem insistent on talking about "pop music" while they obviously realize that Pop Music is not a monolith the way they want it to be. So pretentious it's incompetent. They try to argue that people like Auto-Tune because we spend so much time on computers that everything is getting all computer-y, and don't the kids these days just love computers and want to do everything with computers?

I am trying to remember which Sonic Youth song used to be called "I Killed Christgau with my Big fuck*ng Dick."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:22:00 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 08:57:42 pm »

I was actually interviewed by Christgau at CMJ in 1991.  Can't remember what we talked about, and none of my interview made it into his final article about the conference.  Oh well.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Further Adventures of Goober Joe and Farmer Ted
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 12:09:19 am »

Oh man even as a Slate devotee I can attest to how much their music coverage sucks. It sucks hard.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up