Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people  (Read 8838 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 10:55:41 pm »

Hell, we have an internationally reknowned playwright, a borderline psychotic ex-college football player, artists, paramedics, college kids, misanthropes, professors, heroes and thieves of many stripes.  A rock star is just another bright stripe on the dreamcoat.

Point taken. 

And yes, Cort, greasy onion rings dipped in creamy ranch are my last remaining vice.  Let me have this much, I beg of you. 

I think we've established previously that Cort is my food opposite in every way.  But if you meant that Bleu Cheese is disgusting, I'm going to have to agree on that one.  As ranchlike as it may be, I simply cannot tolerate moldy cheese in my salad dressing. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 10:59:45 pm »

Point taken. 

And yes, Cort, greasy onion rings dipped in creamy ranch are my last remaining vice.  Let me have this much, I beg of you. 

I think we've established previously that Cort is my food opposite in every way.  But if you meant that Bleu Cheese is disgusting, I'm going to have to agree on that one.  As ranchlike as it may be, I simply cannot tolerate moldy cheese in my salad dressing. 

I can't stand ranch or or bleu cheese. Luckily I also don't like wing sauce, which greatly cuts down on my encounters with either.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 11:00:23 pm »

Can we agree on Zesty Italian? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 11:00:44 pm »

I know she ain't around here much anymore but I was pretty geeked that RMJ turned out to be related to Bill James.

Just for me, for my nerdiness, that's cooler than Oingo Boingo, not that being in a successful band ain't impressive or anything.

And I'd read most of the DeepFried stuff long before the DeepFried guy started occasionally posting here, now that I think of it.

I suppose that it says everything about me that needs to be said that I'm more impressed by a baseball executive or a funnybook writer than a rock star.

Then again, some people are impressed by the idea that I worked for slightly famous people for a while and so forth so... it's all relative, I guess.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 11:01:58 pm »

Can we agree on Zesty Italian? 

Sure. And marinara. That's a quality dipping sauce. Mmm, fried cheese.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 11:02:44 pm »

Oh, yeah.  Marinara is good -- except when some people screw it up with black olives. 

Then we have Problems. 

That's pretty rare, tho. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 01:15:54 am »

Oh, yeah.  Marinara is good -- except when some people screw it up with black olives. 

Ew.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 04:29:06 am »

The Dinosaur Comics guy posted here for a while, as did Spinn of Spinnwebe fame.

I was on TV a couple of times.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 06:45:09 am »

A while ago I googled my dad and he was quoted in all these articles.

...also in that process I found out exactly what his title is, and WOW he is pretty damn important.

I also found out the other day that the reason he left his old job, at [redacted, a major bank headquartered in Charlotte, NC which is being bought out], is that... they were making a deal that he thought was incredibly stupid, and he told his boss that, and his boss went through with it anyway. So he retired/quit.
They called him apologizing and asking for him to come back a little before they went under. He was considering it, but made the smart choice.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 12:49:34 pm »

I've been headbutted by Al Gore and threatened by Harlan Ellison. That's.. that's basically all I got. Oh, and I had lunch with Hal Clement, he was a pretty cool guy to have lunch with if you like to talk about planets (I do).
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 01:30:19 pm »

I've been headbutted by Al Gore and threatened by Harlan Ellison.

Well hell, who hasn't?

Quote
That's.. that's basically all I got. Oh, and I had lunch with Hal Clement, he was a pretty cool guy to have lunch with if you like to talk about planets (I do).

Now that's cool.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 04:21:30 pm »

Okay, okay, okay.  I get it -- we're a star-studded lot, a bucket of beautiful and unique snowflakes. 

I sort of take for granted that you regulars have done cool stuff, because I've been around you so long.  But when a dude who's one step up from lurker announces that he used to be part of a band that most people have heard of, it's sort of jarring. 

Basically, I assume that if someone's cool like that, they're cool enough to post more than twice a year. 

Maybe the problem is my definition of "cool." 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 12:49:59 am »

Well, basically when someone makes a (somewhat) unbelievable claim, I just tend to quietly disbelieve it 'till proven otherwise. A natural tendency toward gullibility has led me a little bit in the other direction, actually.

I post more than twice a year, therefore I'm cool! (at least to Jay-ell, maybe, at least as far as imaginary internet beings go anyway)
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 02:16:46 am »

Oingo Boingo.  Didn't they have Tina Fey from Talking Heads in that band?  Oh no wait, that was the Tom Boy Club.  Oingo Boingo had a member that was famous for something other than being in Oingo Boingo.  Actually I think Oingo Boingo was only famous for having this guy as a former member.  I clearly remember this.  Someone in the movies maybe.  It wasn't Kevin Bacon...

I was going to say that it was Tina Weymouth, and the Tom Tom Club, but from the tone of your post I'm worried I'm missing out on a joke here, hence dropping myself in it

Pedantry aside, I liked today's strip! I actually might go back a month or so and read them all at once. I feel this is the best way to appreciate a disjointed schedule


Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: January 12. 2009 - I have some friends who are real M&M people
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 03:33:39 am »

Judy? Is that really you?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up