Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inauguration is Historic  (Read 14717 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2009, 12:19:14 am »

oh, i left out the best part that has ever happened:

the night of the inauguration, my new roommate sent me the following text message:

Quote
hey man, just got back from [the grocery store] and forgot to get milk and bread. LOL. if you pass a store on the way home can you get some

...if I pass a store on the 13 hour drive home. WHAT
...he remembered to buy three kinds of beer, but didn't get milk or bread. WHAT
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2009, 03:14:20 am »

I do not recite the pledge, as I find fealty oaths morally dangerous.

"...I will to [my Lord] be true and faithful, and love all which he loves and shun all which he shuns, according to the laws of God and the order of the world. Nor will I ever with will or action, through word or deed, do anything which is unpleasing to him, on condition that he will hold to me as I shall deserve it, and that he will perform everything as it was in our agreement when I submitted myself to him and chose his will."
-source
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2009, 07:10:36 am »

So, atheists and agnostics are so insular that their only exposure to Christianity comes in the form of the hate-mongering blowhards on TV? 

Christians stormed the Library of Alexandria, with Constantine's blessing, and burned nearly all of the books and scrolls there.

Centuries of Popes would punish heresy or other free-thinking thought with death, only to be furthered under the Inquisition.

Protestants, fighting to break free of the Catholic Pope, were every bit as restrictive toward their communities. Jean Chauvin (John Calvin) and Zwingli imposed martial law on their respective cantons in what is now Switzerland.


The hate-mongering blowhards have been around a lot longer than TV.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2009, 02:42:54 pm »

I just want to say to Doc: no, really -- the atheists and agnostics I'm talking about who view religious affiliation as a sign of weak will or low intelligence -- these are friends of mine.  Although at this point I'm thinking maybe I need different friends? 

I'd really like to contribute further to this discussion -- and also to comment on inev's adventures -- but my son just dumped a box of Ritz on the kitchen floor and walked over the crackers while wearing galoshes, so I have other things to attend to. 

Besides, this is too much wander, even for us. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2009, 05:20:07 pm »

Quote
So, atheists and agnostics are so insular that their only exposure to Christianity comes in the form of the hate-mongering blowhards on TV? 

The thing is, when you think "Christians," your brain doesn't pull up "those hundreds of nice people who I never talked about religion with, but who are good people who also happen to believe in jesus"
what comes to mind is:
1. george w bush
2. people who tell my friends they are going to hell
3. people who tell me I am going to hell
4. people who ask what church I go to, and go cold when I say "i don't go to church"
5. people who carry signs saying "Homo Sex is Sin" at the Inauguration (did I mention that I only saw 3 protesters the whole 4 days I was there?)

And I guess eventually along the list there come up some pleasant people... but even with them, I often got a subtle judgement feeling.

Such as my friend who I knew for 6 years before she realized I wasn't Jewish.
I was a good person, and she knew I didn't go to church, so she assumed I must assiduously follow some other faith.

also my parents had horrible experiences with christianity as kids, and while they tried to raise me to be "spiritual" in some abstract way, most of what I got as a kid was that Christianity was where your parents made you go to church and pray and be scared of God, and you couldn't say no or they would yell at you.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2009, 05:52:16 pm »

Inev, I am glad you did not wind up in the Purple Tunnel of Doom.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:36 pm »

Jay-ell, by belonging to a group you are associating yourself with that groups actions.  You are also responsible for them in both resources and support.  Does whatever you get out of Christianity make up for what Christians do and have done in the past? 

Atheists and agnostics do not have a similar problem.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2009, 12:11:21 am »

The thing is, when you think "Christians," your brain doesn't pull up "those hundreds of nice people who I never talked about religion with, but who are good people who also happen to believe in jesus"
what comes to mind is:
1. george w bush
2. people who tell my friends they are going to hell
3. people who tell me I am going to hell
4. people who ask what church I go to, and go cold when I say "i don't go to church"
5. people who carry signs saying "Homo Sex is Sin" at the Inauguration (did I mention that I only saw 3 protesters the whole 4 days I was there?)
.

Anticipating a response:

JL is probably going to say "well, those aren't REAL Christians."

People in the above list would look at more moderate Christians and say "well, these softies aren't REAL Christians."

Any group with such a nebulous definition and yet with such overarching clout is never a good thing.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2009, 12:53:23 am »

If JL says that I will eat my hat.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2009, 01:49:47 am »

to be clear: I am not saying that I think those people are "real" christians or whatever... but they are what come to mind.

they are much more memorable as CHRISTIANS in all caps.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2009, 02:41:11 am »

Although at this point I'm thinking maybe I need different friends? 

This would be my thinking. Beats me why most dudes suck, sure as hell ain't my scene.

The thing is, when you think "Christians," your brain doesn't pull up "those hundreds of nice people who I never talked about religion with, but who are good people who also happen to believe in jesus"
what comes to mind is:
1. george w bush
2. people who tell my friends they are going to hell
3. people who tell me I am going to hell
4. people who ask what church I go to, and go cold when I say "i don't go to church"
5. people who carry signs saying "Homo Sex is Sin" at the Inauguration (did I mention that I only saw 3 protesters the whole 4 days I was there?)

Again this is so not at all my experience, sure occasionally I see preachers in the city but the things they are saying are generally so ridiculous that I treat them as the anomaly not the other way around. I actually had a really weird moment yesterday when I was reminded that the local catholic hospital wouldn't perform abortions. I mean, of course they wouldn't but I'm not used to thinking of religious people as being vastly different to myself.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Inauguration is Historic
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2009, 09:06:50 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up