OK, coming late to the party, I have finally watched the video that started the conversation, at which point I realized that I had no recollection of what the original Queen version sounded like, so I listened to that too.
And, yeah, if there is such a thing as 'southern rock' that is definitely it. And I will argue that as a total non-Southerner, I am the best person to judge that. See, there is this recurring joke in my household: If we hear soneone talking with a strong Massachusetts accent, I say "Wow, listen to that accent" and the Technical Staff says "What accent?" And if we hear someone talking with a strong NYC accent, the conversation goes the other way round. The joke being based on the fact that it's only to an outsider that an accent sounds like an accent. To the person who talks that way, it's everyone else who has the accent.
So, exactly the same, if I stumbled across a band playing that song on the streets of Boston or NY - assuming I didn't realize it was an old Queen song - I would say to myself "I wonder where in the South they come from - or are pretending to come from?"