Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 104   Go Down

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread  (Read 219581 times)

0 Members and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #660 on: August 31, 2010, 01:30:28 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #661 on: September 01, 2010, 06:17:14 pm »

devils guitar-guana batz
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #662 on: September 01, 2010, 06:22:32 pm »

devils guitar-guana batz

Rockabilly has become a weird parody of itself.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #663 on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:48 pm »

I..I don't think I've ever seen the bass played that way.  It was like a crazed dwarf jacking off in the saddle of a sad brown pony.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #664 on: September 02, 2010, 02:42:32 am »

Quote from: pmcd9
Rockabilly has become a weird parody of itself.

Canned for truth.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #665 on: September 02, 2010, 06:44:50 am »

Wasn't rockabilly kinda always a weird parody of itself?  Or is that psychobilly?  Either way, whatever this is is fuck*ng brilliant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwIQlJsD_Lg
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #666 on: September 02, 2010, 04:47:50 pm »

the saint louis music scene has a really depressing love for what I want to call "retro shit." Lots of rockabilly and psychobilly and swing crap.

there is just a general saint louis music thing of like... being really happy playing boring music in a genre that was interesting (or, at least, hip) 20 years ago.

It's one thing if it's a genre that is pretty much always around-- there have been blues-rock bands since that was invented, there have been garage rock bands since the 60s, etc. But I'm talking... rockabilly.

mostly it's just the rockabilly.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:51:15 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #667 on: September 02, 2010, 04:57:19 pm »

Who doesn't like rockabilly?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #668 on: September 02, 2010, 05:01:19 pm »

I don't hate rockabilly but I can't say I've ever found it actively interesting.

Probably some of it is good but it mostly seems like an excuse for people to cosplay a sexier self-aware version of the 50s.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #669 on: September 02, 2010, 06:00:45 pm »

mostly seems like an excuse for people to cosplay a sexier self-aware version of the 50s.

Yeah there is that.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #670 on: September 02, 2010, 06:57:35 pm »

i like the aspect of psychobilly thats like glenn danzig and johnny cash had kids who grew up and discovered their parents' music, then decided to make a band that encompassed both styles in a rad way.  the only exception is the rev.  that motherfucker is frozen shit on toast.  if i was being a dick about terms, i would consider him surfabilly.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #671 on: September 02, 2010, 07:14:10 pm »

Two things, gree.

1.) As I am old, I have no idea if "frozen shit on toast" is a compliment or an insult. A diss? Is that what the kids are calling insults now?

2.) You have made me want to hear some smurfabilly music. Now.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #672 on: September 02, 2010, 10:17:41 pm »

i just took the the idea of referring to something as "the shit" when you think its rad, and added some hyperbole.  "frozen shit on toast" is not a cool or hip compliment.  it is a compliment that came from my imagination, where nothing hip or cool originates.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #673 on: September 02, 2010, 11:55:41 pm »

Probably some of it is good but it mostly seems like an excuse for people to cosplay a sexier self-aware version of the 50s.

I had a friend who used to wear bowling shirts and had his hair in a ridiculously huge quiff, his girlfriend always wore these little red dresses and had a bob cut going on. Now I know what to call how they looked I don't see them anymore.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The OFFICIAL Youtube Thread
« Reply #674 on: September 03, 2010, 12:21:02 am »

Happy Fuck You Monday!

The official video.

Hey, it's Friday! Fuck all y'all!

Edit: It's not Friday. I got ahead of myself. Please read tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:33:15 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 104   Go Up