Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Douglas Adams Interview  (Read 8450 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 02:37:40 am »

To build on what doc was saying, as a kid, I'd watch the Queen videos on MTV and god damn everything Mercury did just dripped of MACHO.  There's no irony in me telling you, him slapping his own white lycra covered ass, made me think he could punch out any dude and walk away with their girl.

Same thing is true of George Michael.  Him in the "Faith" video, against the Jukebox.  That is a tough, manly hombre that could just put his arms around me and hold me tight into his leather jacket with his strong arms and just... never let me go...

What I'm trying to say is: MTV made me gay for leather daddies.

Yeah this too, Freddy Mercury is only gay in retrospect and because he has been aped by the gay community.
Also because I would totally do him.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 02:44:42 am »

Wow.  I love Freddy Mercury and I always have, but I think the guy was kind of homely.  I mean, wasn't there a whole chapter dedicated to him in The Big Book of British Smiles?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 03:48:48 am »

Freddy Mercury owned the stage.  I've never seen a performer with more charisma.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 11:05:13 pm »

Don't drink and drive my car!  Don't get breathalyzed!
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 12:51:25 am »

I think olde Freddles may have taken the maxim "have a good time, all the time" as far as it can possibly be took.

I do miss the insanely talented bastard.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 03:16:33 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
hipster-geek cutesy-wootsey irony? what the fuck?

You know what I mean. Uppercrust Boarding School insulated wankery. The kind of arrogantly condescending silliness that suffocates all of the actual humor in a sea of masturbatory smug self-satisfaction and all that's left is the twin residues of non-sequitur and secret buggery. Trying to be like Monty Python without realizing that unless you're supremely talented, that kind of thing isn't actually funny. Analogous to trying to be like The Simpsons and ending up with a karmabortion like The Family Guy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 04:04:55 am »

Analogous to trying to be like The Simpsons and ending up with a karmabortion like The Family Guy.

And I thought I was alone--most people I know love The Family Guy. I need to meet new people.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 04:08:00 am »

Well, you've got us.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 04:38:03 am »

Of course, but it helps in life to know a few non-imaginary people too.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 04:50:50 am »

If real-life humans don't understand the difference between "referencing something from the popular culture" and "making a joke" just call me Fakey McMadeup.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 04:56:54 am »

Fair enough.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 05:19:24 am »

After all this I almost forgot I actually listened to the interview. It was actually pretty good, mainly because the DJ seemed happy enough to let the conversation wander where it would, a few tidbits in there I was previously unaware of. Thanks Paul.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 05:50:36 am »

Ha, I was just coming to ask if anyone had actually listened to the interview.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 04:23:12 pm »

If real-life humans don't understand the difference between "referencing something from the popular culture" and "making a joke" just call me Fakey McMadeup.

Yet somehow they keep incrementing the *Blank* Movie franchise.

It is my greatest sorrow to tell you that I actually went and saw Date Movie.  The ladyfriend and I saw it because of Alyson Hannigan.  Slightly unrelated and parallel, I was once at a pentecostal service and ended up the only person in the room not speaking in tongues.  Ladyfriend and I were the only movie goers who didn't find any of it funny.  Punch line after punch line of "I certainly saw that in a trailer for a different movie."
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »

I've been to a Pentecostal church and watched that scene.  It's hard to keep a straight face, but it's pretty hilarious to watch.

When I lived in Utah I dated a girl who insisted White Chicks was the funniest film ever made.  I figured I had to watch it if I was going to get laid.  I gotta say The Wayans Brothers have really made me appreciate the good work that Pauly Shore was doing back in the 90's.*

*The joke here is that The Wayans Brothers are so unfunny that Pauly Shore seems funny by comparison.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up