Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Poll

Preferred Chain Format

One big chain
- 4 (28.6%)
A few small chains of 3-5 people
- 1 (7.1%)
Everybody sends theirs to me, and I distribute them
- 3 (21.4%)
Everybody copies theirs and sends it to everybody else
- 1 (7.1%)
Everybody copies theirs and sends it to 3-5 other people
- 5 (35.7%)
Something else
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: November 23, 2003, 11:25:45 pm


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred Chain Format  (Read 5321 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« on: November 18, 2003, 11:25:45 pm »

I like the ideas on different formats, so I thought I'd let y'all choose.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 12:13:23 am »

Can I ask for clarification before I submit my vote?  I think I'm leaning towards "Everybody copies theirs and sends it to 3-5 other people" or "A few small chains of 3-5 people" for fear of the large chain not remaining intact.  But I think I'd be curious to hear all of the mixes that get made.  So, if we do the small chains option, will they run separate form one another, or in series (that is, the last person in chain 1 passes the CD on to the first person in chain 2, etc)?  Am I making any sense at all?
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 12:48:08 am »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
that is, the last person in chain 1 passes the CD on to the first person in chain 2, etc


I'm not totally sure how that would differ from having one big chain, is all.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 12:49:44 am »

I like SJLimmer's idea. Small chains that eventually feed together - that would mazimize the number of CDs you would get to hear.

Also, how many cuts makes a mix CD? Does a mix CD need to have a unifying theme? Are there any rules to this game?

This is not something I do...so I'll beg forgiveness in advance...
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 12:52:53 am »

I'm kind of a mixswapping nerd.  A mix cd usually has 15 or so tracks, depending of course on length.  Themes are chosen in advance by the group, left to the whim of the compiler, or ignored, depending on the mood of the group.  Personally, I find keeping a theme, or at least an ambience helps me think, but I generally take this way too seriously.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 01:18:34 am »

If we're doing theme discs then I choose "songs to bone by".

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 01:25:44 am »

Quote from: "jough"
If we're doing theme discs then I choose "songs to bone by".


If that's the case, count me in.  

If not, well, never mind.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 01:42:17 am »

You didn't include the option I wanted to vote for, namely:

"I don't give a fuck how we do it just tell me who I'm supposed to mail the stupid CD's to and I'll do it."
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 02:00:01 am »

Persnackly. I'm just itching to be participatory.

Most of my mixes that I share don't have unifying theme, but the ones I make for myself do (eg moods, driving music, the obligatory romancing-the-ladies mix). I find its more important to transition well.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 02:17:28 am »

I tend to use the theme of "music I want to share with people in an essentially random order"
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 02:19:30 am »

Quote from: "FeeReep"
I find its more important to transition well.


It's nice to know I'm not the only one who obsesses over transitions.

As for themes, I already proposed "Only bands with a prime number of letters in their names", but I don't plan on sticking to it.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

V-Adore

  • Guest
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 02:22:28 am »

My theme will most likely be "stuff I like in a random, hopefully non-ear-bleedy order."

Anyway, I voted for Send-to-Mite-and-Mite-distros, but honestly, I'm willing to do anything on the list.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 02:34:27 am »

Quote from: "FeeReep"
Persnackly. I'm just itching to be participatory.

Most of my mixes that I share don't have unifying theme, but the ones I make for myself do (eg moods, driving music, the obligatory romancing-the-ladies mix). I find its more important to transition well.


I'm all for good transitions (and I like closure, too)...can someone tell me what a 'good transition' would be? Is it merely being conscious of how songs segue into each other? Or are talking about fades and stuff?
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 02:48:13 am »

"To me, making a tape is like writing a letter -- there's a lot of erasing and rethinking and starting again. A good compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do. You've got to kick off with a corker, to hold the attention, and then you've got to up it a notch, or cool it a notch, and you can't have white music and black music together, unless the white music sounds like black music, and you can't have two tracks by the same artist side by side, unless you've done the whole thing in pairs... oh, there are loads of rules."

*runs away in shame*
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 02:51:46 am »

And as for the matters at hand, I'm a little disinclined towards mixing the small chains, mostly because that'd be a lot of work for me. If somebody can figure out a way to do it easily that is fundamentally different from the 1 big chain option, I'm all for it. But the way I had it pictured was that the intersection of any two of the small chains would be the null set.

*runs again*
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up