Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Poll

Preferred Chain Format

One big chain
- 4 (28.6%)
A few small chains of 3-5 people
- 1 (7.1%)
Everybody sends theirs to me, and I distribute them
- 3 (21.4%)
Everybody copies theirs and sends it to everybody else
- 1 (7.1%)
Everybody copies theirs and sends it to 3-5 other people
- 5 (35.7%)
Something else
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: November 23, 2003, 11:25:45 pm


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred Chain Format  (Read 5337 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2003, 02:55:56 am »

Mite, never ever run in shame from quoting High Fidelity.  Ever.
Logged
goose means greedy

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2003, 03:38:19 am »

Here here (?) on the importance of transitions - iTunes played one the other day on shuffle that caught my ear verrrrry nicely- especially because of the ridiculousness of the artists that segued together so nicely.

I may just burn a bunch of .mps based on iTunes shuffle mode...
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2003, 04:02:43 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "FeeReep"
Persnackly. I'm just itching to be participatory.

Most of my mixes that I share don't have unifying theme, but the ones I make for myself do (eg moods, driving music, the obligatory romancing-the-ladies mix). I find its more important to transition well.


I'm all for good transitions (and I like closure, too)...can someone tell me what a 'good transition' would be? Is it merely being conscious of how songs segue into each other? Or are talking about fades and stuff?


Good transition example #1: The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away" into Beck's "Sexxlaws". Thematic and melodic segue. I may cry.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2003, 05:49:29 am »

High Fidelity is #1 in my all-time top 5 films released in 2000 list.

If you quoted that from memory, then I'm especially impressed. And my knees may be a little weak there.

So what have we decided, people?  How are we going to do this thing?

Mite?  This is your gig. Should we be sending things your way or what?

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 09:05:20 am »

I greatly want to be in on this (I'm kind've obsessed with making mix cds - it's my new fav. hobby), but I'm rather confused here on what to choose - whichever costs less and uses the least amount of packaging would be the best bet (hah!) ..I guess if they were all sent to one person and distributed or small groups ...are we just making one mix?  one mix and copies for all in group?  -confusion-

As for themes, I usually just find one after I have a setlist ...most the time I break up my mixes into parts ..I name each part either with something I made up or a lyric in a song of that part then I link quotes together from each part to create the overall 'theme' and 'title' ..if that makes sense.  I have examples here.  whenever people give me a theme, I sort've lose interest sadly ...I'm one of those spontaneous mix makers - not the planned theme based on mood sort.  I actually made three death mixes in a row by accident ...hah.  poor people I traded with ;)
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 11:35:26 am »

Alright, I just came up with an awesome compromise between the big & small chain options. When I'm less pressed for time (woke up a little late this morning), I'll describe in detail.

I've now got 9 names. Who else wants it? Get to me by Friday!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 02:23:37 pm »

I'm with August as far as mailing my stupid CDs to people.  It's the idea of getting CDs from others, then having to mail those to other people, that I think is wacky.  If someone sends me a CD, I'd like to keep it.

Just my opinion, of course.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2003, 07:19:54 pm »

I'd at least mp3 the cd's sent to me. So not too much worry about having to send them on, but it does have the chance of going above the effort threshold.
But, like someone said - who cares. Someone else will choose, and I'll do what they say. Democracy isn't my strong point (damn that polisci degree).

Oh and as far as the whole conscious mix thing, I will be doing it with a mixing desk, since well, it's one of my jobs... I've also got about 15 other hour to 2 hour long mixes lying around on HD if anyone digs what they get from me and wants more. And since I can fit more than one on a CD...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2003, 08:23:29 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
Alright, I just came up with an awesome compromise between the big & small chain options. When I'm less pressed for time (woke up a little late this morning), I'll describe in detail.

I've now got 9 names. Who else wants it? Get to me by Friday!


If I'm not on the list you have, I'll give it a go. Selgiraffely, of course, I am far more interested in what you all are listening to then subjecting you to my odd and somewhat dated and mainstream offerings.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2003, 06:05:16 pm »

So.  What's the verdict?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Preferred Chain Format
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2003, 06:06:43 pm »

Yeah, man, what gives?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up