Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Birthday JLDunston  (Read 4359 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 03:22:22 am »

It's the Columbo mixer, actually, but the point is still valid.  Why? 
Yes!  And he is twins!  My mixer is famous.  Awesome. 

Incidentally, does anyone want a vintage blender?  I will pay for the shipping if you promise to give it a good home. 

Oh hells yes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 03:22:54 am »

Why do I need a new mixer?  The one I have works fine.  Even if it was featured as the murder weapon on Columbo.  In 1976.)

JL now is an old jewish woman from a 1970s comedy in my head.
If i were not on another continent with a different mains power voltage I would totally take your vintage blender and make awesome pesto with it. Alas such dreams are too beautiful for this world.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 04:08:40 am »

I'm now conflicted about the blender.  I'm considering keeping both. 

I'll keep you posted. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 08:38:28 am »

If i were not on another continent with a different mains power voltage I would totally take your vintage blender and make awesome pesto with it. Alas such dreams are too beautiful for this world.
Our house was partially warmed by a collection of transformers due to my parents' insistence on bringing American appliances with them to Oz. Behind the curtains, under the end-tables, behind the couch - they crouched, oily and dusty and humming quietly. I undoubtedly am toxic to eat on account of my PCB laden fat cells.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:24 am »

When you say a combination party, do you mean it will involve combining things in your shiny new blender?

Furthermore: a belated happy birthday!

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 10:08:49 am »

Our house was partially warmed by a collection of transformers due to my parents' insistence on bringing American appliances with them to Oz. Behind the curtains, under the end-tables, behind the couch - they crouched, oily and dusty and humming quietly. I undoubtedly am toxic to eat on account of my PCB laden fat cells.

I shudder just to imagine the shipping costs. Luckily around here it's more likely the skin cancer will get you before any toxins do.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 07:59:31 pm »

I got a fancy new designer blender as a gift last year and I put cooked, soft, mushy chickpeas and olive oil in it with the intent to make hummus as the first task with the new machine.  Damn thing crapped out during the first batch of beans - and these were so soft I could mash 'em with a fork.  Thankfully I hadn't thrown out the old 1950's blender form my grandma, and did the whole batch of hummus in that.  I exchanged the new (broken) blender for a different brand of blender, but I'm keeping the '50's blender in the basement, along with my rotary phone.  The rotary phone has also saved me when new technology has crapped out on me, leaving me to wonder just how much old crap I need to store in my basement as back-up.

Happy Belated Birthday JL - my you liquefy and blend as much and as long as you so desire to.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 09:35:22 pm »

I shudder just to imagine the shipping costs. Luckily around here it's more likely the skin cancer will get you before any toxins do.
I picked up my share of that too, just at the right age.  You know spring has arrived when you get your first blistering burn.  My dermatologist clears her afternoon schedule when I book an appointment.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 10:06:25 pm »

I'm one of those lucky people who does NOT sunburn.  I've been burned once in my life, when I was six and we spent two days on a Florida beach in June with no sunscreen.  Being generally fair-skinned, this surprises a lot of people, but I can actually get pretty dark without burning if I stay moisturized.   
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday JLDunston
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 10:11:40 pm »

I keep hoping that someday my moles and freckles will become dense enough that people think I have a nice tan.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up