Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soon I Will Be Invincible  (Read 1536 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Soon I Will Be Invincible
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:34:08 am »

If ever there was a way to distill the Venture Brothers into a book, that would be "Soon i Will Be Invincible."

Great read.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:35:15 am »

Yeah? I've been wondering about that for a while, I do love supervillian literature and nuklear power is obviously very funny.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:47:59 pm »

That's been on my to read list since it came out. The library has like 8 copies but the wait list is insane. Plus I read slow, so I never check out books that I can't renew.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:39:46 pm »

Author, for those of us too lazy to Google it?

Also, when and where does Venture Brothers air?  I've had several recommendations for that show but I don't know when the hell it's on.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 04:05:21 pm »

Author, for those of us too lazy to Google it?

Also, when and where does Venture Brothers air?  I've had several recommendations for that show but I don't know when the hell it's on.

It's on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block. Since they're between seasons it airs irregularly. When Season 4 is about to start they'll probably replay 1-3. Or you can Netflix seasons 1 and 2.

It's definitely worth watching. At first it just seems like silly villain-of-the-week type stuff but there's an actual ongoing story that builds over time it just starts subtly at first. Plus it's hilarious. There are two pairs of characters (Watch & Ward and Henchmen 21 & 24) who will often have conversations there were taken verbatim from the writers just talking about shit. Like whether the Smurfs give live birth or lay eggs.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 04:24:54 pm »

I thought it was on Adult Swim but I can never seem to catch it.  It's definitely not on the Adult Swim on-demand channel.

I think I detect a BitTorrent session coming up.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:42:05 am »

1: Go to http://www.adultswim.com/video/index.html?section=Comedy
2: Click on The Venture Brothers on the bottom left of the page.
3: Watch
4: Become entertained

Unlike many other shows on [as], the Venture Brothers actually features good writing and characterization.  The occasional non-sequiturs aren't there just to prove the writers once watched Monty Python.  High quality stuff.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up