I'll tell you what DOESN'T motivate me to give more bread to internet and/or alt-weekly cartoonists:
Creating premium-only sections and then radically cutting back on your "free" content, causing me lose interest in the entire product by providing me with a lot less of said product.
I mean, I've bought a few of your comics over the years, Mr. Death... I've bought Achewood stuff, I've bought Red Meat books... Derf, someone else you mentioned, his traditionally printed comic about his childhood association with Jeffery Dahmer was one of the best things I've ever read in ANY format, I'd buy that five more times if I could... I have no problem at all supporting artists by purchasing merchandise or collections or sideprojects.
But for some reason, when you change the rules of your publishing model mid-stream in a way that makes the whole thing suffer overall, it just pisses me off.
I certainly have three dollars a month to throw down the inter-hole and I love Achewood when it is at its best but I simply refuse, ideologically, to buy the fuck*ng "premium content" because its existence has fucked up the rest of the output. I will probably buy more than thirty-six dollars in Achewood stuff this year, I have a friend who is way into it as well and usually if I get him a birthday or Christmas gift, it's from Onstad's store but...
I just can't get my head around putting those thirty-six bucks toward something that's actively leeching off the regular stuff.
So... you know.
Something other than that.