Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips  (Read 7963 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 08:30:34 pm »

I think the whole "hey, the PAYING CUSTOMERS all voted you cheap assholes who aren't paying a PITY STRIP, isn't it awesome that I allowed them that choice" thing really bothered me too.

I mean, honestly, if the guy said "everyone send me thirty-six dollars so that I DON'T have to start some kind of premium service that robs everyone of enjoyment" I would be cutting the check right now. I like the Achewood strip that much. But... yeah. Yeah. The whole way it went down leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 08:37:02 pm »

See, I can't get upset about the changing things mid-stream business. It is like getting upset that a band is playing stadiums now, when you got to see them in tiny clubs for no money when you were a fan way back when. It's too bad, but some of the alternatives are worse, like would you rather that they never make enough money to make a living and decide to quit?

However, on the topic of that would be good ways for web comics to make money: could you please NOT have a pledge drive like public broadcasting?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 08:52:15 pm »

See, I can't get upset about the changing things mid-stream business. It is like getting upset that a band is playing stadiums now, when you got to see them in tiny clubs for no money when you were a fan way back when. It's too bad, but some of the alternatives are worse, like would you rather that they never make enough money to make a

Bands playing in stadiums is a very bad example.  A band playing in a stadium means they don't give a shit about their fans and are out for every dollar they can squeeze.  Just because you can play in a stadium doesn't mean you should.

Maybe a better example is a band that goes on tour.  They have reached a level of popularity that they can take their music around the world.  Meanwhile the fans that have been with them from the start can't go see them every Saturday night like they have grown accustomed to.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »

However, on the topic of that would be good ways for web comics to make money: could you please NOT have a pledge drive like public broadcasting?

WTOP has little bumpers welcoming listeners who are trying to get away from NPR's pledge drive.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 10:04:39 pm »

Can't shake the feeling that the proper analogy involves not a rock band but rather a waterfowl, some valuable eggs and a big fuckin' knife.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 10:19:43 pm »

Is that your obtuse way of saying Onstad is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 11:11:03 pm »

I was going to make this point earlier, but now I think it's necessary to say.

For every Achewood there are at least 1000 shit comics.  If not many folks are visiting your site and reading your comic perhaps it's just not that good.

I think I will cross reference your response with the idealogically-sympathetic counterpoint made by someone on the Sinfest forum, where I am also having this discussion:

Quote from: picturesofsky
Quote from: Death Ray
I think we are seeing the consequences of the "free lunch" model of commodity playing out all around us right now in the larger economy. And if you think that will not be reflected ultimately in one or more of your favorite cartoonists pulling the plug on a strip you really like, well...the recession is young.

But the very well made point is, there are hundreds of new strips every day. We'll just read a different one.

I think you can see the point. Flies buzz from turd to turd, satisfied with shit. If you are looking for a flower, then you are probably a bee, and bees usually give a little back to the flower.

Strained metaphor ends.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2009, 11:40:35 pm »

Bee true!

But as for bands playing in stadiums... If someone gets hugely popular and doesn't play in large venues then most of their fans won't be able to get tickets, so there is a downside to refusing to do that, too, isn't there? You can either downgrade the experience or make the experience unavailable to a larger number of people. Basically when someone gets popular there is no way for it always to be like the old days. We can pine for them all we want but it won't change that fact.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2009, 11:47:43 pm »

Cosmic timing: Toothpaste for Dinner and Natalie Dee just unveiled an Assetbar thing.

I know, Paul hates them. But I like Natalie Dee's animal pictures and I own like a dozen of their tshirts. Also, they have pugs.

So what do I do about this? Hmm. I have never felt that I needed more of their content, except the pugs. But, maybe there will be pugs. Also, they might still have to pay all the medical bills from the baby... so I guess I am doing it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 12:02:26 am »

Me?  I don't like something?

Also, a band can easily avoid the stadiums and accommodate their fans by playing multiple shows in each city at an appropriate venue.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 12:30:14 am »

But playing five shows for a hundred people is five times as much work as playing one show for five hundred people. Not exactly fair to call that 'easily.'

Also: I made the right decision about Toothpaste; enough pugs, and I forgot how much I like their writing without pictures. Also, so easy to spend more money since I am already on the Assetbar thingy for Achewood. There was an article in the Post today about the whole problem with newspapers being unable to make money from their websites and one person was quoted as saying basically that the problem wasn't that people didn't want to pay 50 cents for the Post, it was that they didn't want to type in their damn credit card number every time. I think there's something to this - like I will often hesitate to buy something when I find they don't take Paypal. This was even easier than Paypal since I was already logged in to Assetbar. No time to have second thoughts.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 01:03:53 am »

But playing five shows for a hundred people is five times as much work as playing one show for five hundred people. Not exactly fair to call that 'easily.'

We're not talking about 500 vs. 100 we're talking 65,000 vs. 16 thousand.  The artist are making huge sums of money at that level.  And sure it's more work, are you suggesting they not work for their pay?  I'm just saying that it's not ethical to take more while giving less. 

And I'm just telling you that this is how your man Bruce Springsteen did it back in the day.  When he was the biggest act in the country he could have easily sold out the Astrodome twice over, instead he booked 9 nights in the (relatively) cozy Summit.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 02:35:05 am »

I'm just saying that it's not ethical to take more while giving less. 

Ding Ding Ding!

Paul wins the internet!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 02:52:06 am »

But wait, speaking of comics that you didn't know about and think, how did I not know about this: Daisy Owl. I know we have discussed this before. I keep forgetting to read it, and then remembering and being unable to imagine how I could be so stupid as to forget about it. I need to rearrange my bookmarks or something... but really, there is just so much competition. It's almost pure accident that you ever find stuff you like.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of alt-weekly comic strips
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 02:54:46 am »

Post a link and we'll all know this new comic.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up