Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.  (Read 18747 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cioran

  • Guest
Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« on: February 24, 2009, 03:09:01 am »

Minstrelsy is the word that most closely describes the element of the strip that I'd like to draw attention to here, though rest assured that I mean no disrespect to Onstad or to anyone else by it.

A lot of the funny of the strip derives not just from the fact that some of the characters speak in ways that draw heavily from black American dialect, ebonics if you will, but that this black speech is being written by a white man. In my view this is not cheap racial humor but part and parcel of Onstad's investigation of modern manhood. In the United States black and white men construct their identities in part by referencing the "opposite race", as Chuck D once put it, sometimes through imitation and sometimes by rejection.

Eldridge Cleaver's Soul On Ice is a good book to check out on the subject.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:15:34 am »

no thanks, i gave at the office
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:53:18 am »

Seriously -- are you (or did you) write a research paper that you are oh so graciously enlightening us with?  Because it's hell of tedious.

This is not an academic journal.  It's an internet message board about cartoon cats and the folks who love them.  For five years or so we've managed to get by without sucking the joy and humor out of the best comic going.  Please help us keep our streak alive!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Cioran

  • Guest
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:54:45 am »

You just made me take away one of your tiny cans of Dr Pepper.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:58:26 am »

Heh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 04:03:45 am »

Frank.  I was thinking Tha Sugah Rain too.  However, I would have thought that a group of literary types like we are here would enjoy deconstructing our favorite cartoon.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:15:43 am »

I am speaking only for myself. 

It's a free country.  Pontificate away.  I'll just sit here and snipe.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 04:20:45 am »

I'm looking to you to lead the way.  I'd just be typing gibberish.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 05:05:08 am »

I'm enjoying this guy's deal and vaguely agree with some of his statements. What else is there to talk about? I'd also like a Molly mega-thread where Molly haters and lovers sort through their differences, but I'm too busy/lazy to to start it.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:47:05 pm »

ebonics if you will,

Ladies and Gentlemen, this phrase is so chock-full of condescending pretense that I am forced to  present you with...

The next Andy Kaufman.

TROLLCAN'D.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 01:48:38 pm »

Frank.  I was thinking Tha Sugah Rain too.  However, I would have thought that a group of literary types like we are here would enjoy deconstructing our favorite cartoon.

Our cynicism and bitterness outweighs our intellectual instincts.

We're more derision then Derrida all up in this bitch
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 02:05:12 pm »

I'm with Jayelle--this board has been too quiet lately.  If someone wants to come in and start some moderately thoughtful topics, so be it.

Not that I have much to say about the topic.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 02:33:10 pm »

I'm with Jayelle--this board has been too quiet lately.  If someone wants to come in and start some moderately thoughtful topics, so be it.

Not that I have much to say about the topic.


What's wrong with quiet? It means we are all off doing other, more productive or fruitful things. That's good, right?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 02:40:44 pm »

It means we are all off doing other, more productive or fruitful things.

Eh, speak for yourself.

Personally, I work at home. I have no one to chat with at the next desk or down the hall or at lunch. Or at the water cooler, do offices still have water coolers? If you guys aren't here, I end up talking to the dogs more than is strictly mentally healthy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 03:29:03 pm »

Eh, speak for yourself.

Personally, I work at home. I have no one to chat with at the next desk or down the hall or at lunch. Or at the water cooler, do offices still have water coolers? If you guys aren't here, I end up talking to the dogs more than is strictly mentally healthy.

I thought you worked in a zoo ...?
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up