Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.  (Read 18679 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 03:31:45 pm »


What's wrong with quiet? It means we are all off doing other, more productive or fruitful things. That's good, right?


FUCK productive.  I'm goofin' off.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 05:57:37 pm »

I thought you worked in a zoo ...?

Not anymore. Except once a week for free to remind myself it would probably be better not to work there anymore.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 05:57:47 pm »

If it's a choice between quiet and pretentious douche, I'll take quiet.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 06:00:08 pm »

If it's a choice between quiet and pretentious douche, I'll take quiet.


   Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 06:01:52 pm »


   Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Takes one to know one!

*swish*
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 06:04:59 pm »

Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 07:26:10 pm »

I welcome my fellow pretentious douches.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 07:48:25 pm »

I, for one, welcome our pretentious douche overlords. 

Or maybe I just miss Jough. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 10:06:27 am »

Yeah I'm pretty much ok with pretentious douchery, some of my best friends are pretentious douches.

There was something vaguely odd about this one though, I generally like in depth analytical conversations to contain enough irony or alcohol that everyone understands the next sentence may be a segue into the merits of eating pudding with fingers if no spoon is available. As soon as everyone starts looking serious I worry a little.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 02:10:51 pm »

I'm told you tend to perceive flavour better when eating with your fingers. I don't know if it's true but it's a good excuse.

TripperDay

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 05:42:23 pm »

I enjoy examining the Achewood universe. Might find out more about it.

I disagree with the idea presented in this thread, however.  I believe much of what Cioran thinks is black slang is actually just archaic and folksy language. Ray may throw some black slang around, but he's a record producer. That's "how they roll". (A phrase that has never been used in Achewood.)


...some of my best friends are pretentious douches.

Are you just saying that so you can start making jokes about Pretentious Douche-Americans? Not cool, man.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 05:49:52 pm »

Are you just saying that so you can start making jokes about Pretentious Douche-Americans? Not cool, man.

I think Doc is probably looking to make jokes about Pretentious Douche-Australians. 

Just a guess. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 05:53:59 pm »

I'd say there is some middle ground between Cali-based-slang and blackface.  And anyway, dudes is cats, they ain't got no race, b.
Logged
ACHIEVE

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 06:13:15 pm »

Ray's granddad was a blues musician.

Ray is probably black.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 06:16:38 pm »

I believe much of what Cioran thinks is black slang is actually just archaic and folksy language.

Yep.  A couple years ago I picked up Huckleberry Finn for the first time since childhood, and was kind of floored by how much the narrative reads like Ray talking.  

For instance: "That is just the way with some people. They get down on a thing when they don't know nothing about it."  

Ray or Huck?  Yeah, now you're thinkin'.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up