Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.  (Read 18750 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2009, 04:14:07 am »

When did it become not ok to say negro?  I got in trouble for saying that in an email a couple of years ago.  I had no idea.  The email went to several black people and everyone of them emailed me back to say that I shouldn't use that term.  What?  Why?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2009, 04:20:26 am »

Honestly, I think it's just that it is too close in sound to THE N-word for people these days.

No more, no less. People don't even wanna get in the same ballpark as that word, even inadvertently.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2009, 07:47:52 am »

I always adssumed that it's a way to say "people who aren't white" without having to explicitly define those people by their non-whiteness.

It's flawed in all sorts of ways but I can see why it comes in useful.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2009, 11:57:10 am »

I promise you this, TOUAMB, I will always say "Black".
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2009, 12:15:26 pm »

Always?

That might confuse people.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2009, 12:18:40 pm »

Always!
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2009, 12:35:28 pm »

You didn't say it!

You didn't say it right then!

You're a fraud!

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2009, 01:15:24 pm »





----------------------

From now on I'll be watching you closely, Bagas. Very closely.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2009, 01:19:29 pm »

Speaking of Which:

When did it become OK to say "Person of Color?" What? Especially "Woman of Color." This just sounds really weird to me.

I usually here it in a personnel sense. You need to hire more people who aren't white but aren't picky about whether they're black, latino, samoan, &c. And if they're also female then that's a two-fer.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2009, 02:52:07 pm »





----------------------

From now on I'll be watching you closely, Bagas. Very closely.

I'd be afraid, but you've already amply demonstrated that you don't follow through on these promises.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2009, 06:16:07 pm »

Where do you live, if you don't mind my asking? The majority of people I've told this story to claim that the reason I didn't know "negro" had become an unacceptable word is because I live in Florida. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, really, but maybe it's true?

I live in Texas FWIW.  I used negro because, well I thought it was funny, I was talking about how I had been in Utah for two weeks and I had just seen my first negro, but also I had just seen a show about Martin Luther King and that's the language he used.

Those people that told you you didn't know because you live in Florida are elitist pricks, fuck 'em.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2009, 06:33:30 pm »

Speaking of Which:

When did it become OK to say "Person of Color?" What? Especially "Woman of Color." This just sounds really weird to me.

What's always bothered me about "Person of Color" is that it's just a longer way to say "colored person," and I'm pretty sure that's offensive, whether or not the NAACP ever changes their name.  Why did just turning it around make it a harmless but annoying euphemism?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2009, 09:55:45 pm »

I think the NAACP should change their name to become more inclusive.  Something like, National Association of Minority, Black, and Latino Advancement. 

Or, NAMBLA.   
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2009, 10:37:31 pm »

That might cause some confusion.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Another aspect of the theme of manhood.
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2009, 10:52:09 pm »

This thread is all about linguistic plans that might cause some confusion.

I, for one, am going to start calling socks "hats", hats "shirts", shirts "trousers", trousers "mittens", mittens "red lingerie", red lingerie "rampaging hippopotamuses" and rampaging hippopotamuses "socks".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up