Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder  (Read 7075 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03022009

An ok strip and relevant to the talk re: modern male identity 'round here. Kind of lost steam with the whole "barn door" angle.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:57:13 am »

"Crackin' OEs and Packin' PS3s" is sure to make it into my homeboy lexicon. Probably this week, when I go to by buddy's house to play some PS3. He always has a fridge full of Bud Lights, but this time I'll introduce him to the world of the 40 oz.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:59:35 am »

I only understand about half of this but it is obviously an idea of true genius. The one Courtesy Slice is particularly fine. Don't anyone say Ray doesn't pay attention to the details.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:00:10 am »

Any help on "Mickey's grenades"?

The completely unnecessary capping of Courtesy Slice is exactly what I would expect from a brochure like this.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:05:10 am »

Do not exceed maximum dosage of Emergency Homeboys. Do not use maximum dosage of Emergency Homeboys for a period of more than 2 weeks. Those who abuse Emergency Homeboys may become dependant. Emergency Homeboys may have unfavorable interactions with any homeboys you may already have.

NOT FOR INTERNAL USE
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:10:28 am »

Mickey's grenades, I believe, are the smaller-serving bottles of Mickey's Wide Mouths.

You know, because those little things look like grenades.

ALSO: Do homeboys really play a lot of video games? Somehow, I doubt it. It ain't ghetto when I fire up Dr. Mario, I can tell you that much.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 03:12:17 am »

ALSO: Do homeboys really play a lot of video games? Somehow, I doubt it. It ain't ghetto when I fire up Dr. Mario, I can tell you that much.
1. You are operating with a narrow definition of homeboy.
2. Yes, yes, yes they do.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 03:20:08 am »

Well, this is what Biggie Smalls (RIP) had to say on the subject:

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis / When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this

This is from his song "Juicy" which chronicles his rise from projects to "Condos in Queens."

Yeah, so what?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 03:26:12 am »

And if the wireless internet services used the transmission control protocol, it would be TCP@TCB@TCBYS.

Also, the eminent male blackness of this comic illustrated the castration anxieties of the American Male as respects the lack of male mythology and hero worship in a post-antinomist age. To wit, the wheelchair-bound "Garlic" represents the intrinsic Male need for immortality of shared ethics and ideas (vis. the female need for immortality via giving birth, something men can no longer do since Women's Lib). Yet "Garlic" also represents the propagation of Black American culture, for only the Ife and Yoruba people that formed the basis of Black America venerate their elders (the rest set their elders on an ice floe, which is unknown in West Africa; ice is substituted by carob and okra in cooking). Onstad, as a member of a hegemonic White culture (and Norwegian, thus firmly in the ice-floe camp, natch) expresses his desire to identify with Male Hero Worship and thus opts this route rather than the traditional white-castrated-male-oligarchic method of using Campbellian motifs in the works of George Lucas.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:30:12 am by Bobby Isosceles »
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:30:11 am »

Bobby, you had me at "to wit."
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 03:31:27 am »

Bobby, you had me at "to wit."

one could say i'm a real font of knowledge wocka wocka wocka
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 07:49:46 am »

Oh no this again.

Also, mickey's grenades are as described by LFM, but even if he is taking a very narrow view of homeboy, they play a lot of video games.  A lot.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 09:59:27 am »

Yeah, there was a moment in highschool when I realised that all the gangster wanna be's used to head down to the internet cafe and play counterstrike after school that made me reevaluate myself as closer to the mean. Video games are a legit manly past time now. See also: Reign O'er me. That whole movie is Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle playing video games as a form of manly bonding. At least until the stupid ending.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 10:00:50 am »

I just... I don't know.

What would be the point of being a damn homeboy if you're gonna do the same thing a nerd's doing?

Isn't the whole point of not being a nerd is that you're open to sex and drugs and the occasional violence?

Isn't a... ahhhhh, I dunno. I was born in the Seventies, I guess, I'm old now.

I guess all I'm arguing is that my notion of a homeboy is less "limited" and more simply "antiquated".

The homeboys that the television taught me of in the early 1990s were not going to choose Wii Boxing or World of Warcraft over smoking a joint laced with opium and then having meaningless sex with a woman whose bodyweight was 50% in her ass... possibly having to rough up her boyfriend so that you could keep having sex with the bottom heavy lady and then maybe riding a pointlessly modified car home at four in the morning.

If I am guilty of anything, it is the only thing I have ever been guilty of: watching too much teevee.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:36 am »

Nah man, you better believe that those dudes love to throw down in some halo while they're drinking their 2 dollar six packs, and if there's girls around a wii is perfect party game. I've even know sporty motherfuckers who thrown down in Azeroth. Those boundaries are shifting a bit with this generation, doing something doesn't nerdify you as much as not being able to do something (sports or whatever). Knowing too much might still be suspect too.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up